Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
laeuchli

XP can't get on a NT 4 domain?!?!?

Hey all,

I'm having a big problem, and I appricate it if someone who knows the answer could help out. I've just been given to new XP computers, that I have setup on a domain. The domain server is a NT 4.0 server. I've setup a computer account under Server Manager, and I've given user names under user manager for each of the computers. Now here is the strange part. When ever I try to logon to the domain, the XP computers claim the domain server is not avalible! However, I can still get files over the network etc on the XP computers, just no one else on the domain can see the XP computers! Also, when I goto server manager, and click on the XP computers, it says "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed." How should I fix this?!?!? It's driving me off the wall :-(.

What name resolution method are you using (DNS, WINS, LMHOSTS)? What protocols are you using? If you are using TCP/IP, do you have NetBIOS enabled for it as well? How many domain controllers do you have?

If you've added the computer names ahead of time using server manager. Then delete them. Only add computers to the domain from the workstations themselves. I've had no end of phone calls from Help Desk techs adding computers to the domain using Server Manager for a quick fix instead of doing it from the workstation.

Hmmmm, r u using DHCP? If so go into the network properties of each workstation and make sure that the unselected network settings are blank of all settings. Make sure that no IP settings are specified.

It seems to me that these workstations aren't joined to the domian. Are you sure you've added them?

Right-click on my computer. Properties. Computer Name.

I am using DCHP, and as far as I can tell, all IP stuff it set to automatic. I did already make sure I have the domain name entered. My domain name is DOMAIN, and it's entered there in big bold letters .....

Sounds more like the workstations cannot determine who and where the domain controllers are. Just because they can ping them by name (assuming they can at this point), that doesn't mean they are "aware" that the servers are DCs. What are you using to host DHCP? Are you using the NT Server, or some other DHCP hosting service?

One more thing, if you added the clients manually in server manager (which you are supposed to be able to, and it does *sometimes* work :)) they may take a while to get cycled out of the domain. If possible, you could try renaming one of the workstations, and then having it rejoin the domain but this time attempt the join from the workstation directly.

I'm using wingate to host the DHCP service. I did try renaming the workstations, and adding them that way, but still no go :-(. BTW, Why is using server manager so buggy?

Actually, it isn't that buggy itself, put more an issue of domain behavior (SIDs, replication, etc.). Once you have managed (as in added and removed many objects) a domain for a year or so, you tend to get used to its behavior and can anticipate it. I used to add systems to the domain like you did initially as that was how I was taught, but after adding my first workstation during installation by mistake I haven't had a reason to go back.

As for your systems, try enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP and make sure that your servers are setup the same way (which they should be).

Help, I seem to have a very similar issue. I have a company who has 8 XP workstations and had to reformat 2 of them. Now they cannot join the NT 4.0 Domain and get the Error "The network name cannot be found."

I verified the XP Pro machine can resolve the name to IP by pinging the seerver by name successfully. I also checked the "Enable NetBIOS overTCP/IP" box to make sure.

At this time I am at a stand still and not sure what is going wrong with the joining process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm, did these computers previously have Computer Accounts on the domain and you are now using the same names? Try deleting the computer accounts for those computers from server manager and trying again.

Which server did you ping? The PDC/BDC or DNS Server?

Try this:

Obviously you need the Browser and Server services running. Add the 2 RPC services.

Start

Run

Type Gpedit.msc

Local computer policy

Windows settings

Secutity settings

Local policy

Security options

Select Network security; lAN manager authenticate

from drop down select Send LM & NTLM - Use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

Reboot

If that doesnt work, try joining to workgroup instead of domain.