Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ofelas

ISO Recorder Power Toy for XP Pro/Home

UPDATED DOWNLOAD LINK -

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder/download.asp

Uses the built in burning capabilities of XP; not one coaster so far; adds right-click ISO burning functionality to WinXP.

Download from-

http://members.home.net/alexfein/isorecorder/ISORecorderSetup.msi

and do send an e-mail to isorecorder@alexfeinman.com with your opinions of this very useful app.

Regards...

bad link man, when i d/l it says there some update for it and to go to his site, and its down!! doh anyone know when its coming back?

maybe i should clarify, link works fine, it wont let u install however, claims a never version is out and to d/l that except the link the program gives u is bad...

Well, just checked it out-managed to uninstall & reinstall using the fresh msi download; anyone else having problems ?

chaosman, an e-mail link to the author was provided in my original post - be proactive, brother, be proactive, and keep him informed...

Isn't this already included in the PowerToys for XP? I like individual downloads that are not included in a package but I'm sure that it is.

DosFreak - This used to be one of the PowerToys, but was dropped in the final version.

Looks like a great tool, but XP doesn't recognize my new burner as an actual burner. I used to always disable the builtin burning features to avoid any problems with good software, but I don't even have that option now =(

I can't even test out this powertoy because of that!

It's new to me and I love it!

I used to have a Creative 6424e, and flashed it with the hardwares native firmware, liberating it to it's hertiage as a Ricoh 7060a, supporting DAO PW subs.

The new burner is also a Ricoh, born as a MP7120a (4mb buffer), and upgraded via firmware to a MP7125 on steroids (4mb buffer AND Justlink!), I like to think of it as a 7126, and that's what I'll refer to it as here on in.

The 7060a was seen as a recorder, but the 7126 is not. I can burn just fine with it, though it does seems to have some problems. Sometimes I insert a cd, but Windows doesn't know there is a CD there! I click on the drive, and it tells me to insert a cd. If I open up Nero to check the drive, it sees that there's a disc in there, but it wouldn't be able to do anything with it.

I've been told that this is a problem with XP, and I'm inclined to believe, as Daemon-Tools does it too. I've experimented with this phenomenon both with and without Daemon-Tools installed, to try to see if that was the problem, but it doesn't seem to be.

I trust the guy I bought the burner from and have no reason to believe it's damaged at all. I haven't made one coaster with it yet and have burned at nothing but 12x, showing that once windows let's the programs access the drive there is no problem. Sometimes I popping out the tray and reinserting it will fix the problem.

Sometimes it won't though, usually while I am doing too many other things to restart the computer, so i just leave it. Then, I'll come back later on, and it may be reading it fine.

Sometimes it'll load just fine, but when I pop out the cd, and pop in a new one, it won't change the cd label. On time it sat there telling me that Max Payne was in the drive, have a broken icon for the cd icon, and have the real contents of the drive when I click on the drive itself.

Sometimes, thought I don't know if this is related, explorer.exe likes to freeze up. I can continue using the computer fine when I close it,a dn can restart it without a problem, but what a pain. I think I've almost narrowed it down to a certain process, but that's for another post.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them. Ricoh doesn't make this drive anymore, if you check out their website, it's on the discontinued product page, right near the top.

i think I should move this to it's own thread, but I don't know what forum to put it in.

BrainSfot, I have the same problem. WindowXP-Pro does not recognize my cdrw as a cdrw. It shows up as cdrom. But in Nero and CD-DA apps everything works great.

My CDRW is brand spanky new QPS QUE 24x10x40i. Before the QPS I used an Iomega ZIPCDRW 12x10x32 that worked fine. But when I installed the QPS it quit working.

When I install a blank cdr it does not prompt me to create a new drive/folder to copy files and then burn later. I got tired of messing around so I took the QPS out and reinstall my old Iomega ZIPCDRW that used to work great. Now it too has the same problem.

I think daemon-tools is involved in the problem some how. I to am running daemon-tools and use it regularly.

Those that are having problems installing the ISO Recorder are running it incorrectly. It is a Microsoft Installer file. Instead of double-clicking on it, right-click the file and select Install. This will run it in Microsoft Installer. I've played around with it a little and haven't run into any problems so far.

I don't think anyone is really having troubles with the software itself. My problem is with XP not playing nice with my burner. The install for the software was easy. The "Install" is the same command that is executed when the file is double clicked anyways =)

A note to anyone that is having problems with XP not seeing cds that are inserted. If you eject the cd, then click on it's icon in Windows Explorer, windows will sit and wait for the cd to be inserted. I think this forces Windows to sit and look at the drive, but whatever it does, it has increased the probability of a freshly inserted cd being seen to about 90%.

Quote:
The "Install" is the same command that is executed when the file is double clicked anyways =)

Not in the case of those people receiving the message that a newer version is available. This is what I'm talking about. If they right-click the file and select Install it will run the setup without problems.

Different problem. The problem they're receiving from downloading the link at the top of the page, it points to an outdated installer. The double-click operation is Install by default. They downloaded an older file, and need to go to the site and get the new one, which I believe someone was kind enough to link to further up.

If there's a way around this date check, it shouldn't be done, there's usually a reason those checks are put into place, why use older software when the new stuff has bugs fixed?

The latest version is 1.0. That is what the original link is for. Downloading this directly from the creator's site brings about the same problem. It probably probably stems from the installer being set up wrong.

There is nothing to "set up" with windows installer though. XP comes with it, we do nothing but double click the file. I had the same problem at first, I downloaded the original link, I got the message, I downloaded the current one from the site and got the new one and it worked. A date time out setting like that is programmed into the installed when it is set up, so that people don't use old versions of the software. Windows installer just does what it's scripted to do, and that's display the message "this is too old" if, well, if it's too old. I'm going to re-read through the thread to make sure you're not looking at something I missed.

Okay, just to make sure I was in error myself, I went back through the thread. I read all the posts about the links, and downloaded them, etc.

If you download the file from the first link in the very first post, you get a small 87 KB app that, when attempted to be installed, says it's out of date, and to go to this certain page. I remember doing this at the beginning, the old file is still there, and the provided link doesn't go anywhere. I ended up going to the main site and browsing for the proper download. I tried right clicking, and selecting "Install", and got the exact same error. Install is bold, meaning that it is the default operation executed when an .msi file is double clicked. Double clicking on it or right clicking and selecting install makes no difference. Maybe Install isn't the default operation on your computer, but I can't possibly imagine why. I highly doubt that you would want to Repair or Uninstall by default... confusedconfused

RandyC then posted a proper working link at the very end of the what has become the first page; thank you RandyC. The link he provided links to a download script which then triggers the download for the proper download. This 1.27 MB file works perfectly, by both double clicking it, or taking the other way around and right clicking and Installing (as they are the exact same thing). Please notice the difference in file sizes. 87 KB versus 1.27 MB is a BIG difference!

I think I'm going to email the author, I'm very impressed by this software. I'm also going to point out that he has a bad link in that installer's script. That file probably isn't even ment to be downloaded. Maybe it's a beta version, or a installer script test, or something left over from an older version of the site, before a download script file was set up to moderate this things.

ofelas, where did you get that original link from? I see that's it's coming off a @home members webspace =(

Brainsoft;

The original link was where I downloaded the first GUI version (887KB) from, and later on, the 1.27MB version 1.0.

Yup, totally agree there-nifty little piece of software...Alex went so far as to tell me he is NOT extending functionality to Right clicking *.bin files.....:-0

He's a good guy, open to suggestions, shoot him a message.

Many thanks to RandyC for bringing to attention the updated link; I've also just posted the updated link in the first post.