Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
webview

Can't run V3 in Win2K RC2 (build 2128)

I tried following the directions posted in the 3dfx faq to get V3 working, but it doesn't seem to work.

The FAQ mentions getting some DLLs from build 2114. I don't have access to that build, only build 2128 (RC2).

Does this matter?

For example, running Unreal tournament (v338), I get an error msg box when I first start that says "error".

Is there something else I have to do to get this to work?

Go here:

http://home.istar.ca/~jha_tam

Get the Voodoo3 drivers and reboot into safe mode then delete you voodoo3.sys and .dll Then reinstall the voodoo3 drivers in the zip file through device manager. Reboot and your done!

Does this work in build 2128? I replaced the voodoo3.dll and voodoo3.sys from the .cab file (from build 2128, I don't have 2114 like the FAQ says).

I would get a bluescreen everytime I booted until I reinstalled the drivers from control panel.

Any idea?

Did you read my previous post? DOWNLOAD the file tited voodoo3 drivers for win2k at the above URL. Unzip the file to a temporary directory. Reboot into safe mode. Delete voodoo3.sys and voodoo3.dll thats in your x:\winnt\sytem32 and x:\winnt\system32\drivers directories. Go to device manager (right click my computer, select the hardware tab and then click device manager) In device manager get the properties of you voodoo 3 under Display Adapters and select the driver tab. In the driver tab select update driver and select display a list of known drivers. Click the have disk button and point it to your temp folder which has the contents of the zip file you downloaded from the above URL. The rest is quite simple, finish the install and reboot.

Ok, I did that, here are the steps:

1. Rebooted into safe mode

2. Installed new drivers from zip file from Device Manager

3. Rebooted

4. Tried to run Unreal Tournament Demo

5. Complained that glide* dlls were not found. I guess the install didn't copy them over.

6. Manually copied them over.

7. Started UT demo again. Got a blank msg box that said "Error" in title bar.

Are you running build 2128 (RC2)? That is what I have.

Thanks.

yes i am running build 2128 and you seemed to have missed the most important step you didn't delete the OLD voodoo3.sys and dll. You see windows will recognize that the drivers are newer and won't install the new(old 2114) ones........uninstall your card from within device manager and then reboot into safe mode and follow the directions exactly....

I finally got it to work. It took a few reboots, but it works now.

Thanks for your help!