Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dawgy

Starcraft Help

I'm like totally new to Redhat Linux. (8.0) Yes, I know. I'm an idiot... but how in the world do I install this game on Redhat?

Well, it says that they don't have any downloads when I go to sourceforge. frown

Okay... I downloaded the files, and it game me just one weird file. What in the world do I do with it?

Wy don't you try wine

in your shell use this

it is just an example in your pc it may be diferent:

myserver@lmyserver.root# wine /mnt/c/Program\ Files/Starcraft/starcraft.exe

it did it once and worked fine, but I got some problems with my keyboard and sound.

by the way, you may not be able to play multiplayer games unless you have the starcraft patch 9.0 or up that include TCP and UDP lower versions only include IPX that is a Micro$oft protocol

It´ll launch starcraft using wine (that comes with your Red Hat 8) you´ll find the latest wine pakages from

http://www.winehq.com/

but if you are new doing this you´ll mess with it a little.

Whether you are going to use wine or winex you first have to install the game in order to just type:

wine /mnt/c/Program.......

In order to get it installed you need to mount your cdrom and as your normal user, not root type the following:

wine (or winex) /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe

or whatever the path to the install program is.

I personally like winex better because they support many of the games I play. In my opinion it's worth paying the $5 for a subscription to support gaming on linux.

P.S. IPX is not a Micro$oft protocol it is a Novell protocol.