Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Squid

Help me!! Problem with Audigy and XP!!

I'm having trouble getting my nice new Audigy working on my system. I bought it about a week ago, and plugged it into my computer which was (then) a 1.4Ghz Athlon on an ECS K7S5A running WindowsXP Pro. It worked fine first go, then. However, my motherboard died a few days ago (long story...), so I took it back to the shop and replaced it with a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE, which is a KT266A chipset board. Due to the motherboard change, I then had to reinstall Windows. After booting into freshly installed XP Pro, I then installed the Audigy drivers off the CD, and rebooted as requested. I know the card was working then, because I could hear the shutdown sound. Unfortunately, when XP booted then booted up, I was presented with a black screen, and a couple of error messages saying some files couldn't be found. I remembered there being a black screen with the Creative animation when the Creative software loads, so I suspected there was an issue with this. I restarted the computer again, but thesame thing happened. Next reboot, I chose the "last known good configuration", which worked fine, only the Audigy drivers weren't installed anymore (but the rest of the associated programs were). Since then, I have been unable to get the card to work. Whenever XP

recognises that the hardware is there, it searches for drivers, installs them, then says "hardware could not be installed" and "access is denied". This applies to the Creative Game Port, too. What the hell is going on? Why can't XP install the drivers properly? How can I solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

If it's the same CD as I got, there aren't any XP drivers on it, only Win2K.

I got a couple errors during install so I got round it by downloading the updated drivers off Creative's site and unpacking them with Winzip. Installed the software off the CD (inc LiveWare) then cancelled the reboot request. Through device manager, manually updated the Audigy drivers pointing to the unpacked files, then rebooted.

After rebooting double-clicked the file downloaded from Creative so it re-installs the newer drivers but also updates some of the Creative software to work with XP (if you don't, AudioHQ, mixer, etc will say no soundcard, even though there are sounds!!), rebooted again and I was sorted.

HTH