Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CounterCW

Remote Desktop

Is it possible to have more than 1 person using the computer while using Remote Desktop?

Like, I was thinking, allowing a friend of mine to use my computer while I was on it at the same time. I think that'd be pretty cool....

I know it'd be a drain on resources, but who cares, I just wanna know if it's possible. Thanks!

i think what you want is the application sharing part where you can both control a program (to some extent) I have used it already in Word and it worked fine.

But I don't believe you can both run GUI sessions off of the same WinXP system at the same time. The underpinnings from Remote Desktop come from Win2K Terminal Services, but it's capped to one user at a time, and will kill the local user's console session if an admin tries to log on remotely.

Off Topic:

I wish, with remote desktop, that when I log in from an outside computer, to this one, with remote desktop, that i could easily copy a file from one and paste it on another. There is no easy way to do this =<

Have to AOL IM it to myself, kind of gay.

JBoDEAN i thought you could do that, at least the documentation suggests you can confused

Quote:

Off Topic:

I wish, with remote desktop, that when I log in from an outside computer, to this one, with remote desktop, that i could easily copy a file from one and paste it on another. There is no easy way to do this =<
Have to AOL IM it to myself, kind of gay.
Find your remote desktop file (*.rdp) right click, hit the "options" button at the bottom, go to local resources, click on drives on the local devices and save your file.

BTW, the PC you are trying to connect has to be running XP and remote pc must have XP remote desktop client. If you are running w2k server it will not mount the drives.

Cheers

Quote:

But I don't believe you can both run GUI sessions off of the same WinXP system at the same time.
I am afraid this is the case with XP. Well so far I have not been able to find a work around. Anyone knows how to get around this BS?

Quote:
The underpinnings from Remote Desktop come from Win2K Terminal Services,
I was under the impression Win2K does not come with Terminal Services. I thought TS came from Win2K Server

Quote:
but it's capped to one user at a time, and will kill the local user's console session if an admin tries to log on remotely.
In Win2K Server I am pretty sure you can run multiple TS accounts including console simultaneously. I'll verify tomorrow.

Cheers,

Quote:

I am afraid this is the case with XP. Well so far I have not been able to find a work around. Anyone knows how to get around this BS?

Not as of yet, and MS is pretty proud of this one person limitation but they do show methods of shadowing sessions via a .Net Terminal Server.

Quote:

I was under the impression Win2K does not come with Terminal Services. I thought TS came from Win2K Server

Huh? I am assuming that you were referring to "Pro" at first, and no it doesn't come with the serving portion, only the client.

Quote:

In Win2K Server I am pretty sure you can run multiple TS accounts including console simultaneously. I'll verify tomorrow.

Yep, in admin mode you can have 1 console and 2 more admin logins. In application mode, the Internet user account is limited to 200 anonymous sessions, but I think the "Intranet" side is unlimited (well, theoretically anyway). smile

Quote:

Cheers,

Back at ya...

laugh

Quote:

Yep, in admin mode you can have 1 console and 2 more admin logins. In application mode, the Internet user account is limited to 200 anonymous sessions, but I think the "Intranet" side is unlimited (well, theoretically anyway). smile

In theory Communism works... in theory . laugh

Woohoo!!

I became a Senior Member with that post! Everybody, look at me!!! cool

yeah you can cut and paste files using the remote desktop, like was stated earlier you need to mount the drives. Then you can even drag and drop.