Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shicka

win xp skins

The rumor is that Microsoft will not be releasing additional skins for XP. To get more skins you will need to install 1 of these programs (cannot be installed at the same time):

- Styles XP (www.tgtsoft.com)

- Windowblinds XP (www.stardock.com)

Windowblinds XP, IMHO, is the way to go because it doesn't hack any Windows DLL's and it can improve the interface.

Quote:

To get more skins you will need to install 1 of these programs (cannot be installed at the same time

you don't need to install anything to get more skins

you can install windowblinds and styles xp at the same time

Quote:

funny, cause i design my own "NATIVE" XP skins without "hacking" any .dll files.

You do understand he's not just talking about designing XP skins, but importing them into WinXP as well?

If that's what you're talking about, please share how you accomplish this. Either you somehow get your skins digitally signed or you have hacked DLLs. (If you've come up with a third way, then you're the first)

Quote:

funny, cause i design my own "NATIVE" XP skins without "hacking" any .dll files.

I've got $10 that says your whole version of XP is "hacked"

Sure you can install them both, but right now Styles XP doesn't work right when Windowblinds is installed and vice versa. (WB doesn't like the hacked dll)

As for using old dlls, it's the same thing as using a hacked dll. The original dll that came with XP has been modified/replaced.

the trick with the old .dll files is to using an RC1 (2505) version of shellstyle.dll and to remove the calls to themeui.dll in the .theme file, nothing is hacked and i have no programs installed, no WindowsBlinds, no StyleXP. It's as simple as that.

And no, using an old .dll is not the same as using a hacked one, each theme uses its own shellstyle.dll file, my themes NEVER came with a 2600 version of that file, i just decided to use an old version, and even the old version isn't hacked, it comes from a failed attempt to do Native skinning back when i was using RC1.

For the people that do not want to alter/hack/replace original Windows DLLs, Windowblinds XP is the only way to add more skins.

whatever

wb xp runs like sh1t

native xp skins run great

it is not replacing a dll it is providing one

and wb xp and styles xp can run side by side on my system with no problems

Quote:

I've got that says your whole version of XP is "hacked"

well I know his version is not hacked cause he got it from me
you can make the check out to Jeff Parker
and send it to:
6 Chase Lane Apt. C
Burlington, VT

P.S. When can I expect the money?

Quote:

For the people that do not want to alter/hack/replace original Windows DLLs, Windowblinds XP is the only way to add more skins.

ok [My Bestest Buddy in the whole wide world], you don't have to alter/hack/or replace ANY files, all you have to do is copy one file and one folder over to c:\windows\resources\themes\.

How many times do i have to tell you that.

Mildly Adjusted by clutch

wink

dude, Eddie and 4 and 20 are right, all i had to do was copy over a folder and a file and select the new theme from desktop properties ----> themes tab. Its that easy.

Resorting to name calling just shows how educated you are.

Quote:
the trick with the old .dll files is to using an RC1 (2505) version of shellstyle.dll and to remove the calls to themeui.dll in the .theme file, nothing is hacked and i have no programs installed, no WindowsBlinds, no StyleXP. It's as simple as that.

From what you said there, you *are* hacking the .theme file by removing the calls to themeui.dll. As for using shellstyle.dll, I assume it was removed after RC1 for stability reasons. So why would anyone want to risk the chance of making the OS unstable?

no, the shellstyle file is still there but it carries a version number of 5.1.2600, it's not hacking the .theme file, you can easily create a .theme file, and the other night i just found out that the calls to themeui.dll do not have to be removed, i trying to get the themes working properly now by using the 5.1.2600 version od shellstyle.dll so i don't have to keep the RC1 version around

as for name calling, i was pissed because people are saying that you have to mod/hack files to get the themes working

...So, sorry for that.

Quote:

no, the shellstyle file is still there but it carries a version number of 5.1.2600, it's not hacking the .theme file, you can easily create a .theme file, and the other night i just found out that the calls to themeui.dll do not have to be removed, i trying to get the themes working properly now by using the 5.1.2600 version od shellstyle.dll so i don't have to keep the RC1 version around

as for name calling, i was pissed because people are saying that you have to mod/hack files to get the themes working
...So, sorry for that.

No problem. I'll definately give your method more consideration than TGTsoft's. smile Let us know how your efforts with the 2600 shellstyle.dll turn out!

Try here for some XPthemes. I don't know what needs to be hacked for these (if anything).

well, it would seem that i had StyleXP installed and it had already modified the system DLL "uxtheme.dll" which is why my skins worked. I found this out by formatting my computer and then after reinstalling, my skins wouldn't work. So, i WAS mistaken. But, the 2600 shellstyle.dll's DO work.

so are you saying that if i put a copy of the 2600 shellstyle.dll in the same dir that we have been puttin the rc1 dll it will work without styles xp?

StyleXP doesn't HAVE to be installed, but you DO need a modified uxtheme.dll file, and yes, you can use shellstyle 2600's in place of the 2505's