Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Palos

NT/2000/XP Hidden Feature

Maybe some of you already knew about it, but my NT administrators didn't laugh

In a DOS window, press F7 to get a graphical history listing of all commands you ran in the current session.

Also, if you press repeatedly F7 and ENTER while running a "ping -t " you will KILL your box! Lol, I even tried it myself and I ended up rebooting frown

That has been referred to in the past as "The Ping of Death". We now have another member in the club.

smile

Clutch, sorry man but I think u got things mixed up.

The Ping of Deth is, according to insecure.org:

"Description: gazillions of machines can be crashed by sending IP packets that exceed the maximum legal length (65535 octets) "

That has nothing to do with crashing your OWN machine with the F7/ENTER key combination...

Correct me if I'm wrong smile

What you explained is what was shared with me as "The Ping of Death". Plus, when it was done it would timeout and crash the target machine instead. I can only imagine that there are several "Pings of Death" out there, but:

A. It would seem that the first one you found is "The Ping of Suicide" or "The Ping of Masochism",

B. Mine would be more of "The Sniper Ping", and finally

C. The last you mention would be "The Ping of Incredible Destruction and Horrible Pain".

Yours makes more sense though, so I will amend my definition.

More confusion...I mentioned only one ping, where did you come up with two? lol

And of course, the "ping -t" has to be send to some machine, not necessarly yours. So...you don't need to send the actual Ping of Deth (out of boundaries octal) to the remote machine in order to phuck up your own. It can be as simple as "ping -t www.whatever.net" and while it's running (thats what the -t is for, so it doesn't die after 4 packets) press F7/ENTER

Quote:

More confusion...I mentioned only one ping, where did you come up with two? lol

1. Your original post.

2. My description of "TPOD" (for some reason, I didn't even pick up on the F7 reference, and I immediately remembered when a student came in to learn our telephony software and started to shut down the instructor's PC as it was streaming audio simply using "ping blah -t", hence my reference and all the aforementioned confusion :)), and

3. The version you looked up.

So, there you have it. All the versions that I described. Make more sense now?

laugh

Why would anyone wish to crash their system???

Are you proud of your accomplishment Palos?

smile

Yep, I do agree with Uykucu, what's the point to crash one's own machine just for the fun of it, there's something I don't really understand ?...

Or, are we talking of some kind of a bug you can perform at will ?

Vauw...

MS took the software development one step ahead.

User controlled bugs.

They will not annoy you or cause you to loose your work unless you want them to.

What a brilliant Idea.

I bet they will release a new OS in 3 months time and try to make everybody pay again!