Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
viperxjs

Windows XP BSOD: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I have recently done a clean install of Windows XP from a reformatted hard drive. All the drivers for my hardware were succesfully installed, and everything seemed to be working great until, BAM! The computer restarts itself. I turn off Automatically Reboot on system failure, and a bit later I got the good ol' BSOD. The error is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and this happens every so often when I am using my computer. However just yesterday I left the PC on all day without using it and it did not have the error. Today I turn it on and use it for a few minutes and I get the error again. Anyway here is my system:

AMD ThunderBird Athlon 800mhz

128MB PC133 Ram

Alton M805LR Motherboard with a VIA chipset

3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 Video Card (PCI)

Sound Blaster Live! Sound Card (PCI)

Realtek RTL8139 Ethernet Card(Not PCI - Plugs into mobo with a wire)

Newest Award BIOS flash update

I got all the updates for VIA that I could find, and I got the newest Video and Sound Card drivers. I have no idea what could be causing this. Everything I try fails to fix it. This really sucks. =/

Windows 98 and ME worked fine, this problem only occurs with XP. Any ideas guys? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

I know this dosn't help or anything. But I get that that exact same BSOD; only its at the point where my computer is supposed to shutdown, never encountered it while using my computer. It causes no real problem other than the fact I have to manually hit the power button to turn off the computer.

Damn this is soooo frusterating. I am going to have to go back to WinME if I can't fix this soon. frown Somebody, anybody, please help.

Are you by chance running easy cd coaster creator. If you have it installed remove it or set your cd burner to pio mode. This has been the most notable reason for IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR EQUAL messages on my machine running XP. I patiently await Roxio's "fix".

I have the same problem too!

I have it narrowed down to my mouse driver (using a usb ms explorer mouse with intellimouse 4.01).

I'm going to back-out the 401 driver, and put my mouse on the ps2 port instead of using usb. Then I'll probably re-install 401 (so I can re-program my thumb button).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, it looks like this all rolls back into the Voodoo driver. Messing with my mouse and tablet. Blue-screens have slowed down, but the mouse occasionally skips.

The GOD drivers were a big bust. Blue-screens almost immediately.

I suspect they may not be dual-screen aware, but am open to other suggestions.

I had a "pretty good" set of drivers for the voodoo, but don't remember which ones they were. And now my system is probably dirty with all the different versions I've tried.

Time for a new AGP card I suppose.

My system:

Dual p2-450 Xeon

256mb

HD: IDE & 68-pin scsi mix

IDE CDRom

ext. SCSI CDRW (yamaha 8x4x24)

Vid1: Voodoo 3-2000 (16mb agp)

Vid2: Creative RIVA TNT 16mb PCI - XP detected

SB Live value Using new creative drivers

Wacom tablet (serial on com1)Using latest xp drivers

USR 56k ext. (serial on com2) XP detected

Intellimouse Explorer (was on usb, now on ps2)Using Intellipoint 4.01

HP Scanjet 2200c (USB)Using HP XP drivers

Same problem here, all you can is remove each device driver one by one until it stops happening. I'm beginning to suspect my Asus drivers for my v7700 deluxe, but who knows it could also be something to do with the sound blaster live.

Someone let us know if they can narrow downt he problem.

AMD K7-700Mhz

MSI 6195 K7-Pro Motherboard 751Chipset

256MB PC-100

Asus v7700 Deluxe Vid Card

Sound Blaster Live!

SCSI Card PCI

3com Network Card 900 PCI

Just a wild guest but maybe it your power supply or it could be ever the memory it self maybe the memory is wrong type or that good sign that it go bad.

My memory modules have to be 8Mx8 chips per side damm that suck which mean I can't use any of the new 16Mx8 nor 32Mx8 per side chips.

Why I say well I got some PC133 128MB 16Mx8 soon or later I have crash sometime at boot up other time well you get the picture.

What I have found, so far, is that its the damn SB Live! card! If I try to use the new XP Live! drivers and Live!Ware, I get it all the time. But now that I uninstalled ALL the CL crap, and am using only the latest MS XP updated drivers, it seems to be stable right now. But I just went out and bought a Turttle Beach Santa Cruz card, and in a few . . . BYE BYE SB FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read another post that said to use Driver Verifier which is built into XP/2000. I have some of the same problems, so I tried that, although, I didn't find any good tutorial on how to actually use it. The best I could tell after you more or less enable it on the next boot up it pushes your drivers to the limit and if one snaps it reports that one, and sits there in a blue screen. So then you find a new driver for that device. If this is not the proper way to use Driver Verifier somebody post a link of a good tutorial on the proper way to let it "verify" your drivers.

Well, since I've put the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card in my system, not a single BSOD yet! And looking at the event viewer, no problems detected there either. So its the damn SB Live! causing most everyone's woes!