Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
romainsimoni

CD ROM problems

First, I don't know for sure if my problem is about hardware or software problems or even with the winXP, but a few days ago my cd rom driver stop working like before:

I put any kind of cd (audio, cd-r, cd data...) and winXp recognizes it, tries to run it...try again...and stop trying, the windows for the cd stop answering, and I tries to close it, the winXp almost crashs, then I do the classic Crtl+Alt+Delt method. Now I cannot use my driver anymore because of this problem. I checked if it was something with drivers, up[censored], I even tried to open that cd rom, but nothing seems to solve it. I guest you all knows that problem: When you run a disk and you knows the system is trying to run it, but it fails. I don't know either why it happened NOW, because it was fine when I upgraded to WinXP.

Sometimes I can cd-r (most of cases with mp3's) but it stops answering after a while, and trying to install any kind of application FROM the cd rom, like games or whatever, now is IMPOSSIBLE.

Someone can help me? I'm going crazy frown

Don't know what to tell you, sure sounds like a bad drive to me. Do you have a spare drive to try? Otherwise, seems like a case for the warranty...

Only a junior member to help me in this board...

Anyway, I tested another cdrom and it worked fine, that would sound the cdrom with problems is broken, but what I don't get is WHY it worked fine for 2 weeks and WHY now it's running low..not broken...but just running low...confused

Because maybe you were drunk, got pissed off and smacked your PC around for a few times... smile

Or maybe you got just a low quality drive...MTBF of 2 weeks, LOL.

My experience with problems of this nature is that the simpliest solution is often the correct one. Here are the steps that I would follow:

1 - Run a Cleaning CD through the drive.

2 - Inspect the CD rom for damage (you never know).

3 - Contact the manufacturer.

4 - Replace the drive with a non generic one.

Hope that this is of some help, I have worked crazy hardware issues for the last 4-5 years.

- Ben

cool

See if there's a firmware upgrade for the CD-ROM drive from the manufacturer.