Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
woz_mann

cant get XP pro to turn off computer...HELP

I am running XP Pro (2600) when I tell computer to turn off, it restarts.....any ideas?

I am also running system works 2002, I have heard that thay could be the problem

hardware:

athlon 1.2 @1.45

asus a7v

elsa geforce 2 gts

sblive!

3com NIC

Tekram scsi controller

plextor external 12/4/32 scsi

pioneer 115 dvd (x16)

It probably isn't SystemWorks, as I have it installed on my XP machine and it switches off just fine. The things to look at are the power options in your BIOS, and in Windows.

Have you installed Easy CD Creator from Roxio/Adaptec?

I had this kind of problem until I uninstalled EasyCD, and everything went back to normal.

Apparently, the program works fine as long as you don't install DirectCD (conflicts with WinXPs version of DirectCD?) but I haven't got around to trying that yet.

Rgds

AndyF

Actually, that would be "typical Roxio." Roxio created both XP's integrated CD writing software and DirectCD. Microsoft has nothing to do with Roxio's consistently poor programming. The only reason XP's CD writing capabilitied are as good as they are is because another companies programmers were there to fix Roxio's screw-ups.

true

well I deleted ez cd creator, and well it shuts off now!!!

now I have to use a few different apps to burn with....oh well!!

thx all

smile I just had the Easy (wouldnt call it easy) CD Creator 5 Platinum installed and started having these same problems with comp restarting when i click SHUT DOWN. I still have to uninstall it but im absolutely sure it will work now. Thank you...good luck with XP's everyone, I like to see those smiley faces! :P

Hello, I am having the same problem. I have checked the BIOS, and all is good, even installed XP twice to try to fix it. I am using NERO and the same feature with the InCD. I am goning to unistall that feature, and see if it works. I will post the results as soon as I can.

Thanks for all your info!

laugh

Well it did not fix it. Someone said it may be, the power supply.

I am goning to give that a try.....

alan

Hello, I need help...Im not sure if my xp has anything to do with this, but at one point my computer wouldnt turn off either, but now I can turn if off but somehow it doesnt want to get into the start up. When I turn it on, it just goes buzz, buzz beep, (delay) buzz buzz beep as if it wants to go beyond the "over range" reading on my monitor. What do I have to do. This started three days ago, It seems as if something is in stuck mode, and the first day this happened I turned off and on a few times and it worked but it goes through this each time I want to turn it on, and Im bummed because that doesnt help anymore and I dont want to harm it even more. Any suggestions?

balvarez, those buzzes and beeps sound like a warning from your bios. The only thing i cant think of is a temperature / fan problem if you have the monitoring enabled.