Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ConQueso

SB Live and Pod racer problems

Anyone have any ideas about solving the following problems?

When I launch DXDIAG, (even after a fresh boot) It gives me an option to bypass direct sound, then gives the following error:

Error: Problem getting extra sound info, result code 0x8878000a (the request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller)

Under the SOUND tab (in DXDIAG) the device name is modem #0 line playback (emulated) and there is no info under the driver section.

I have a SB Live Platinum 5.1 installed, with up to date drivers.

Creative Laucher won't respond after clicking the volume tab.

I'm getting functional sound, but in Pod Racer only one or two sound effects will be played at once (no taunts, no commentating, no 'it's a new lap record', etc. sometimes engine sounds cut out during turbo sound.

Also, in pod racer, sometimes (usually after skipping intro sequences to get to the default racing view) The screen (all except for the Heads Up Diplay Graphics) goes all one color, followed usually by the engines damage HUD flashing all red. Escape works, and I can use the menu to exit that race, so it's not instantly freezing/crashing. The game will function after doing so, yet the problem randomly persists.

System Specs:

Win2000 SP2 with Application compatability update and Application compatability toolkit ver 1.5)

512 RAM

P4 1.4

SB Live! Platinum 5.1 - latest drivers

Nvidia GeForce2MX 400 - 6/6/01 detonator drivers (alienware won't yet support later drivers)

Logitech Wingman Action USB gamepad

I've tried lowering Video Acceleration 1 and 2 notches from max, it didn't solve problem.

coincedently i was just about to post about pretty much the same problem, at least the 'blank screen' problem. i've tried every type of graphics driver under the sun (thinking it was a gfx error) but now i wonder if it could be the sblive drivers, i'll try some other one's and see what happens.

configuration:

win2k sp2 + all updates

512mb ram

sblive value - latest beta drivers (3507s i think)

geforce2 gts - 21.88 detonator drivers

random other stuff

thinking about it it seems logical its a sound drive problem since my mate has a similar setup but with a different sound card and it works fine for him

hmm, have tried a multitude of sblive drivers and still no luck frown strange thing was it was working pretty reliably until a few days ago, now i can't get thru a race without the screen going weird.

(Not for the SB Live problem, but for star wars: racer)

I think I've determined a way to eliminate the all-one-color-screen-except-for-the-HUD-during-racing problem when running racer in Win2000.

Note: I had already tried using the Win95/Win98 compatibility mode (without ACT 1.5 of course), and had the latest compatability upgrade installed.

I used QFixApp from the Application Compatibility Toolkit verson 1.5 (for Win2000)

With it, I created a fix support file using the default Win98 Layer of fixes for the "SWEP1RCR.EXE" file. Now all I need to do is _launch_QFixApp_and_leave_it_running_ in the backround before running racer (through the default shortcut) (the bug still happened if QFixApp wasn't running in background) I can even uninstall the support fix with "add/remove programs"

ACT 1.5 can be found at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/compatibility/default.asp

Just be sure to click the link for the right OS. Read up on its requirements before installing. (be aware it needs SP2)

I don't know if there are consequences from the use of any QFixApp fixes, so use_at_your_own_risk. By selecting the fixes tab and then clicking the bug fix title, you can read a description about the fixes--I suggest doing so, so that you are aware what your system is doing/emulating/made vulnerable to. If anyone knows of any possible problems using such fixes, please post the info.

Microsoft website said it currently supports ACT 1.5.

So, there you have it. Hope this helps someone else.

The SWEP1RCR.EXE file is in the RACER directory. I left the RACER.EXE file alone, and still use the shortcut to the RACER.EXE file (the default racer shortcut)

I put off posting the 'bug fix' to be sure it worked. I change views using the hat switch (change of view triggers the bug) like it's a turbo button, and no problems. I finally decide to post my results, and the next time I play, there's the bug!

So, apparently, this (the above mentioned "fix") only REDUCES the all-one-color-screen racer bug in Win2000 (if that).

If anyone has better results, please post them.

after downloading DirectX 8.1 my sound card is now recognized (though some features are still emulated)

And now I can actually here several channels of audio in Racer. (taunts/engine/scraping/music)

I also removed the "custom database" for SWEP1RCR.EXE and made a new one useing the Win98 layer, but with [EmulateJoystick] UNchecked. This allowed me to run X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter, and I'm hoping it fixes the screen color problem in racer discussed above. Best of luck to any who try this. Hope the input helps. (for the record, I'm using a logitech gamepad using win2000 drivers)

installing dx8.1 seems to have solved the problem for me smile

edit: dammit it happened again. doesn't happen so often now tho

I'm having this problem with Pod Racer as well. I swapped my NVidia card out and put in my old 3dFX V3000, and the white screen went away. Once I put the NVidia card back in, the white screen was back. I've tried every driver under the sun, but I can't seem to get this game to work with my NVidia card under XP. I sent Lucasarts an email, and I did get a response, but all it said was "our games are not supported under XP. We are beginnging our testing on XP, and we will keep you updated via our website." If anyone has any ideas, let me know - my kid would love to play this game again...

--Jazz

Has anyone managed to fix this game with regards to the screen giong totally white at the beginning of a race in XP?

It happens on both of my machines which is bladdy annoying!

Asus CUV4X-D,Dual PIII 1 ghz @133

1.25Gb PC133,1 x 75GXP 30.7GB IBM Deskstar ATA100,1 x Maxtor 740x 60GB ATA133,GTXP 3.02,Gef 2 GTS Pro 32MB DDR (nvidia ref) 23.12 dets

Yamaha 2100s int SCSI CDRW,Adaptec int ScSI card,Acer 52x CDRom,Pioneer 16x DVD A05s,iiyama VM Pro 450 19",MS Intellimouse Explorer USB,MS Sidewinder FF Pro2 USB,MS Sidewinder Gamepad Pro 2 USB,MS Internet Pro KB,USR 56k V.90 Voice/Fax Ext Modem,RatzPad smile

W2k Sp2 DX8.1 Sec Patches IE 6.0, PCI Latency Patch

WXP Pro All Patches

-----------------------------------------------

P4 1.6 GHz with 400 Mhz Front

Side Bus, 256KB Second Level Cache

3 PCI slots, Graphic upgradable by AGP

4x slots, 4 USBs (2x front / 2x rear),

1 parallel, 2 serial, 2 PS/2

3 FireWire IEEE 1394, 1x front / 2x rear

Front Audio / Video In, 1x Front microphone In

512MB SDRAM at 133MHz

80GB Ultra ATA / 100 hard disk

16x DVD ROM

16x10x40x CD-RW

3,5" floppy disk drive

10 / 100 Mbps network card

6 - channel Dolby Digital Audio Controller

for AC - 3 5.1 Audio

64MB nVidia® GeForce3™ Ti200 4x AGP 23.12 Dets

Graphics with TV-out / Video - in

56K V.90 PCI DataFax Modem

Microsoft® IntelliMouse®

PS / 2 Keyboard with Multimedia Hotkeys

Windows® XP Home Edition pre - loaded

I've seen posts on Google about the blank screen with a variety of graphics cards. My old Radeon ran it fine, but both my PC's have the same problem.

The only common link between the 2 machines is WinXP and Nvidia drivers, although each PC uses different driver sets. As it ran fine on XP with a Radeon that limits it to Nvidia, but like I said I've seen people with Voodoos complain about it, as far back as 98/99 so it's a long-standing issue.

Shame, it's one of my favourites for just firing up and having some good racing fun when I've a few minutes to spare.

Edit:

Just had another look on Google, people reported problems with Matrox as well, so that pretty much rules out video drivers, Windows, DirectX versions. It's a game problem that Lucas should have sorted eons ago.