Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fireman

.msi Installation-files

Hi,

Is this a well-known fact or just here on my pc - all software-installations based on the microsoft msi-system put a copy of the whole installation file on the harddisk?!

You can check this unter c:\program files\common files\ wise installation system and under %windir%/installer...

Isn't this a bit too carefully? Those installation packets are really big today and if you install a great amount of software-packages this will take a lot of place off your harddisk...

Is there any way, a registry hack or so, to prevent these .msi-installers to do so?

Greetings from Vienna,

Well, for Windows it's nice, since you don't have to stick the CD in everytime you install hardware. It's there to save face if the working copy gets screwed up. While you could delete those files, it's best to leave them there. This is a good thing from Microsoft for once. If you're low on space, buy a bigger hard drive. I don't mean to be a wuss, but if you have to hack the registry and other files to change something, it's probably a good sign you're not supposed to change it. I don't see it being ultimately worthwile in the end, and I'd assume that the veterans would agree. There's lots of stuff MS does that is annoying, including this thing, but it makes sense in this case.

Hi Brian,

I had to agree to you if that were only things that belong to the os directly, but was i mean was, that more and more programs(!) seem to use this technology and all of them also store their msi-files at that places!

I've noticed that with winoncd and fix-it utilities last times - both were about 30mb of .msi-files. So think about installing 10 or more programs...

What makes me a bit angry is, that this is done without a notice to the user - would be easy to to put some lines of text and a simple yes/no query in the installer and let the user dicide.

I know, hd-space is really cheap now and i have also a lot of it - but i think that goes a bit too far... smile

Well i think it is a good think from OS point of view, has any of you tryed to access a CD Rom in recovery console in a really screwed up system smile Try it you will understand.

For the other SW, Space they are taking is miniscule in today relatively free storage capacity. You are talking about 30GB, unless you like to keep 20 games installed all the time i just don't see how you can fill it up?

OS, Office and loads of software takes about 6-7GB's max. If you are really unhappy about this fact, you are free to delete them or to get 1-2 nice 75GB IBM drives. smile