Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoNeed

What is Win2K "SR2"

Simple question,

What is Windows 2000 "SR2"?

I just d-loaded IEradicator to get rid of IE from my Win2K installation. Thing is, it says it can only do it on: 95, 98, 98se, Me, and Windows 2000 SR1????

It says it can't do it in Windows 2000 SR2 or WindowsXP!!!

So, what is SR2, and how can I tell which one I have?

I have: Win 2K Build 2195, Service Pack 2.

BTW: How high did the Build get? Is 2195 an early Build, or a later Build?

Thanks a lot for any help smile

Your build number is fine (same as mine with SP2). Why do you want to kill IE anyway, its pretty much integrated into win2k so i dont think its a very good idea to try and remove it 8)

(SR2 = Service Release 2)?!?!?!?!?!

So you recon they mean "SP2" (Service Pack 2) when they say "SR2" (Service Release 2)??????

I've searched the Mic*os*ft Web Site, and can only find "Service Pack 2" for 2K?????

The reason I wanna get rid of IE is I'm dual booting (I use Win98SE for the net) so I don't need it on 2K!.....It don't really matter, though.

Thanks smile

Hi again

I dunno about anyone else but i think things would probably go a bit pear shaped if you try and remove IE from 2k frown If its not broke dont fix it smile

No Need- my guess is that the IEredicator installer was refering to the fact that M$ has made it very difficult to turn off Windows File Protection so that IErad can "do it's thing". WFP will over-write or replace any system files that are modified by another program so you have to turn it off because IErad get's rid of lots of crap. You have to do a little reg hacking so that WFP can be turned off with sp2. If you want info on how to do this, let me know.

M4 Carbine-For me it's not a question of "being broke", it's a question of not wanting to use a bloated, buggy browser that is force fed to me by M$. If I want to use IE, I'll download it (60+ megs I hear) and use it. I don't need it to be integrated into the OS. I'm capable of installing a browser myself. I used IEradicater to get rid of IE on my Win2000 sp2 install. I saved over 50megs on my hard drive and almost 10 megs of RAM (without IE even running. Why would, or should, a browser use 10 megs of RAM when it's not even running?).

I have decided to do away with Win2K due to a problem I have (See thread "Errors (again)!!!!!!" in Applications.

Gone back to 98SE, and I'm going to rip IE out with IEradicator ASAP.

Thanks again frown