Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greggy

BEEP when adjusting sound volume in system tray

For some reason, now when I adjust the sound volume using the slider from the Volume icon in the Windows 2000 system tray, instead of getting a nice 'ding.wav' to indicate the current sound volume, now I get a loud BEEP from the PC speaker within the case!

This problem happened all by itself - no drivers where changed at all. Unfortunately, re-installing the sound card drivers (Sound Blaster PCI128) does not fix the issue.

It's really minor, but does anyone know how to fix this and get back to playing the ding.wav file when adjusting the volume?

I'm guessing its a registry issue.

Yeah,

You disabled all your system sounds in: Control Panel\Sounds & Multimedia (Chose "NO SOUNDS" as a sound scheme)

Go on, tell me i'm wrong!!......Go on!!:D

Of course I've been changing the sound schemes - I've been trying to get the problem fixed!

However no matter what sound scheme I choose (including Windows Default) adjusting the volume control still results in a BEEP.

On my other Windows 2000 box, if you select 'no sounds' as a sound scheme from Control Panel, you get a BEEP when adjusting sound volume, but when you go back and choose a sound scheme such as Windows Default, everything is AOK again including the volume adjustment as 'ding.wav' not a BEEP.

I case anyone wants to know how to fix this isue, I found a work-around...

I couldn't be bothered to work out the registry entries that I needed to fix/create to re-enable a .Default sound in the Windows 2000 Sound & Multimedia options, so I fixed the problem like this:

I backep up all data that I needed from my user profile, logged in as Administrator and killed off my usual login account (along with the folder under Documents and Settings). I then created a brand-new user account for myself (as I never use the Administrator account every day - sometimes you need it to get you out of trouble!).

Now, after 15 minutes of re-configuring a few things, everything is back to perfection!