Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheEnder

Needing help - ALL games crash with XP

I had the same kinda problem on my KT7A board, dual booting XP/2k. Under XP games would crash eventually, and when they did they usually made a log file, with an error relating to d3d8.dll. If i booted into 2k however everyhing would work perfectly.

So when i had to format to install the stuff below, i just went with 2k, and thats how its gonna stay for now smile

d3d8.dll is a DirectX 8.0a file. Seems that DirectX hates VIA chipsets frown

Yup i tried everything i could think of to fix it but usually the pc would just hard lock, which no other thing managed to do. I havent tried it on my intel stuff yet, so i cant really say it was down to via chipsets. (yet) smile

Huh!!i have a penIII 515 cpu,256 ram,voodoo 3 with mainly half life installed and Win xp. after getting drivers to work with opengl and half life everything is working out for the most part.Now,,ive installed Red Faction and Rally Championship extreme. I beat red faction and the game ran very smoothly.Except at some points the computer would just auto. restart itself.It only did it occasionally so i figure it was just heat.Well,i installed rally and now everytime its about to load the level,,,BAM, the comp restarts. Now the same thing happens in red faction as well. but half life seems to work fine in d3d mode. Im not sure this helps but this is def not just your comp. thx

TheEnder: 2600 is the final build.

Bushnibbler: When you installed the games, did they happen to install a different version of DirectX?

If you feel brave, and your system is running normal now, I found that the Nvidia drivers 21.88 are very good. The earlier Det 4's seemed to have problems, but the 21.88 fixed stuff liek Dark Age of Camelot and I havent experienced any issues yet.

j

im not sure really,,i know i have directx 8.1,,,i think that comes with the 2600 build. The funny thing is that red faction worked fine and so did half life,,but when installed rally championship,,bah,,it just shutsdown,,now red faction does too!! dx diagnostics work fine and test come out fine as well.

Well, it's not just the VIA chipsets. I have an ASUS K7M with the AMD 750 chipset and have the same problems. Everything using 3D crashes, I had the same problem with WinME. Only Win98SE works for me. I tried all different versions of drivers, 21.83, 22.50, 22.80 and the LargePageMinium registry fix.

ASUS K7M (AMD 750 chipset), SlotA 900 T-bird, 256MB RAM, Guillemot Prophet GeForce1, Santa Cruz sound card, 300 watt AMD approved power supply.

I do have 3 hard drives, Zip and DVD - Maybe 300watts isn't enough? I'll try unplugging some of these to see.

I'd like to get a new GF3, but afraid I'll still have the same problems.

You will. Replaced my Hercules 3D Prophet 3 (Geforce 3) with an Asus (dangit forgot all the gobblegook) Deluxe Ti500. Still get the same infinite loop problem.