Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
seti6

windows 2000 10 connection limit

Can anybody help me with a workaround for windows 2000 workstation? it only allow 10 concurrent connections. I need more

That's what it suppose to be.

You need server or advanced server to get more connections

but you need CAL for that too.

i know thats the way its soposed to be, but can i go round it anyway?

I *thought* that you couldn't even do *that*. I don't think that Server will upgrade an installation of Professional; it's clean reinstall time.

It's a clean reinstall. And, while O'Reilly and company demonstrated a NT 4 Workstation installation could be converted to NT 4 Server, that would be a clear breach of the license agreement (provided that you don't have a license for the full version of NT 4 server for that box. Also, I think that ability was fixed in NT 4 with later SPs, and can't be done in Win2K.

There is definitely a workaround for that, I'm sure there is a registry key allowing you to change it but I can't remember what it is.

I speak from experience as i have a win2k pro machine that will allow 65533 here smile

Quote:

There is definitely a workaround for that, I'm sure there is a registry key allowing you to change it but I can't remember what it is.

I speak from experience as i have a win2k pro machine that will allow 65533 here smile

Which would then be in complete violation of the license agreement, since Win2K Pro is intentionally capped at 10 connections while Server is not. I am assuming that you are doing this on a test machine or some debug machine and/or you have a license agreement that allows for this.

Toby

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr

entVersion\Internet Settings]

"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000019

"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000019

Here you go, you can change the value 19 to something less if you like.

/Toby

That is referring to the connection limit of IE when contacting a website. Normally, it's capped at "2" (http 1.2 standard I believe), but those keys look like the ones that adjust the limit. Also, if for some reason the method to do it does get posted here, we will have to edit it or take it down. Sorry.

Thought i'd try changing it to see how easy it was,

It's actually one of the options that X-Setup allows you to change

How does one verify that the setting was succesfully changed?

What is the definition of a "connection"?

If I am sending 5 files to people on IRC, and 2 on WinMX, and someone is on my FTP ... does that mean only 2 people can hit my webserver?

that would be terrible.

Quote:
It also destroys WinXP installations.. but I guess I should have listened to the warning it popped up...

yea it is generally a bad idea to use
it was designed to prove a point
that nt variants are all pretty much the same.

at least for nt and 2k the kernal for ws is the same as it is for server
the main diff is in the reg and the services.

ntswitch is not a microsoft lisenced product and is considered ny MS to be illigal.

You probably don't need more that 10 connections at home anyway.

Or just go back to old windows 98 for a much cheaper option. for those of us in small business who are sick of making bill gates a billionair just because he decides to take out an option from some software he calls an "upgrade" (not).

old windows 98 used to handle 20 connections just fine. then some young idiot computer tech tells me yeah upgrad to windows XP its heaps better. i finally give in and put the piece of Sh*t on my server and bang now no-one can access anything. and now it is a pain in the ass to try and take back off again. back to tried and tested 98 for me. quote:- "If it aint broke. Don't fix it"

What the heck, I'll throw my .02 in as well. If you use NTSwitch, it will think it's a server. This also means that you can now do an inplace upgrade using a server CD as well. Which is nice for a lab system or if you're trying to preserve your user accounts/passwords on the PC.

HOWEVER, if this is a production server and you don't care about the existing user accounts, clean install all the way.