Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jake9190

Windows 2000Server/Pro and group policies

I am trying to setup a computer using group policies with windows2k server and pro(client). This is my first time using policies and cannot get them to work! I put all of the users into an OU and created a new policy, adjusted the settings and cannot get the policies to apply to the users. I am also trying to limit access to the hard drive and have not figured out a way (settings my documents doesn't work in the apps i am using) to get the save/open dialogs to open directly to a network drive(I have cut off access to the boot drive so they get a message everytime they try to open or save a file). I also loaded admin tools on the pro computer and have been trying to use "Active Directory Users and Computers" to try to access the groups remotely, also without any success. I keep getting an error saying: "The server is not operational". I can use terminal services to log into the computer and change it "locally" that way but would like to eliminate terminal services if possible....

Thank you for any help!!!!!

Jake

Are you in a domain???

If so you just configure nt5 pro boxes as a doamin member, server does the rest.

When they are logging in policy's passwords everything is kept on the server with a local offline copy just in case some idiot pulled the UTP out.