Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheDragon

Horribly slow file menus / start menu

Hey hey

I've run into a bit of a problem. I'm running Windows XP 2600 with a fast computer (256MB Ram, 266 FSB 1.2 Athlon) and it seems that all of my File menus on ANY application (any menus that are accesed with ALT, etc) are VERy, very slow. As in, I click on a menu and it takes a full second to print the contents of that menu onto the screen. No processing, the menu fades in very chopily and then finally displays its contents. Then, moving the cursor around on the menu is very slow as well, which is odd, because the menu is rolled out, why should would moving a cursor over an menu item be slow? Anyway, it happens in every single application, and the start menu. The start menu takes a full second or 2 to open (the programs portion of it) and then when I move my cursor over the start menu items, it skips around like its out of ram or something.

Also, I thought it might be because the menu "fades" in and it wasn't loading it very well, and I tried to bring up the window that deals with "effects" in display properties, but upon clicking on it, nothing happens (no dialogue box, no response, nothing). Also, I wouldn't think this was the issue because even when I've clicked on the menu once, if I move my cursor off of it and back onto it, it takes just as long to load.

I have no idea why my computer is doing this, but its very annoying and has been going on for some time now. I run WinXP 2600 on another networked computer, and it is MUCH slower (hardware wise) with 128MB of ram and it displays/accesses menus just fine. Perhaps I have my memory cache or memory management set to something it shouldn't be, and thats causing the slowdown, but I do not know what kind of setting could result in ONLY the menus (NOTHING else) being very slow. I can drag windows and masked applications around the screen, with transparencies, without encountering a "hiccup" which would result from lack of ram or slow ram. If anyone has any info or suggestions, I would be greatful, as I'm eager to look into it and fix this problem.

I got this problem after i installed ICQ. So if you have ICQ on your machine then that could be the problem.

---------------------------------

1.2Ghz AMDK7 Athlon Thunderbird

512MB PC133 Hyundai RAM

ATX Gigabyte 71XE4 Motherboard

40GB Seagate ATA/100 5400RPM

16x 10x 40x LiteON ReWriter

40x Compaq CDDrive

17" NEC Monitor

64MB Nvidia GeForce 2 MX100

Ambient 56k V.92Fax Modem

Creative SoundBlaster 128PCI Soundcard

Hauppage WinTV and Radio card

EPSON 580 USB Printer

BlackWidow 648HOME USB Scanner

WindowsXP Build 2526 IE6(2600)

---------------------------------

Got the same problem after having done a system restore.(I installed easy cd creator 5, which totaly detroyed XP).

Tried to roll back graphic drivers,install the latest, no success.

The menus sometimes work fine but slow 90% of the time.

Any magic trick? smile

Thanks for all who posted on the subject. I tried a few things, since I wasn't really sure of the source of the problem I couldn't fix anything, but I twiddled around with tweakXP and am using a different shell/graphic type thing for my taskbar (desktopX) and the menus seem to work fine now. Not sure what the solution to the problem was, but it was a very annoying problem and I'm seeing a few people have this, so it would be nice if MS did some investigating (since it affects their whole OS and all menus). Thanks for all who helped, God bless.

to speed up the menus, disable shadowing.

display properties>Appearance>effects button>and uncheck the shadow under menus

will speed up up drastically.

Effects button doesn't work.

"Also, I thought it might be because the menu "fades" in and it wasn't loading it very well, and I tried to bring up the window that deals with "effects" in display properties, but upon clicking on it, nothing happens (no dialogue box, no response, nothing)."

Had the same problem and yes, removal of menu shadows fixed the problem. HOWEVER I don't need to do that anymore, as the new Detonator drivers solve the problem. So if you're a Gforce owner you know what to do now...

I am a Geforce 2 Pro owner, and yes I would attribute the solution to new Detonator drivers. The new XP set fixed a few small things, and I think one of them was the handling of the menus. No more slowdowns =)

Are you talking about the 21.83 drivers or the 21.81?

I have got the 21.81 installed and still have that problem.

That's weird. Both versions fix the problem on my GeForce 2 - but do try the 21.83. Should contain even more fixes. Good luck.

I'm running 21.85.

When I had 21.81 I think the problem was eliminated then as well, but I cannot recall... try them all until one works =(

Thx alot for all th info dudes... I had the probb also and now i have fixed it. I used the fade under menus checkbox. Sorry to hear that not everybody can use that option. What is the prob do you think, that prohibits the efects button from doing its job?

THIS IS EASY laugh

Woohoo....It's one I actually know!!!

Do this:

For anything involving using network resources ( drive mappings ) then you will definitely want to follow the advice given at this url: http://www.winoscentral.com/section...rticle&artid=25

Basically, you delete this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace/D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF

This really makes a HUGE difference in network performance in both XP and W2K.