Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingNothing.com

Sound Card goes Mute

I have a Turtle Beach Montego II sound card that came with my old Dell. Windows 2000 and Windows XP both detect it as "Aureal Vortex 8830 Audio (WDM)".

The card works fine in Windows 2000 and is detected under Windows XP, but it goes mute about 10 seconds into whatever sound it is playing and i have to restart Windows to get any sound out of it, only for the same thing to happen again.

I'm running an Athlon 1400 with an ABIT KT7A mobo and 640 MB RAM.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks.

Pablo

pablo@kingnothing.com

Go get yourself a new card before you waste more time and nerves with the old stuff. Already here in Europe you can get a SB Live 5.1 (bulk) for approx. US$40

Go figure...

I am considering a new card, but I just finished dishing out $350 for my mobo, chip, and RAM upgrade and it's a pretty big hit on a non-working college student budget.

I was considering the Live 5.1 card, but I have read about some problems with sound crackling, etc. with the VIA KT133A chipset which my mobo has.

I'm not looking for a feature-rich card, just one that offers digital output, so I'm thinking about the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

I dont have enough experience with non Creative soundcards. I owned an Aztech Waveride 32+ about 4-5 years ago, anyone remember the card? Wavetable was cool, huh, huh. It did the job until I fried it by mistake about 2 years ago, when I bought an AWE64 (i miss the internal amp.), and now moved to a SBLive XGamer. I dont have major problems with it, except that W2K doesn't see both outputs unless I install LiveWare.

If u're going low on budget, have you ever considered the McDonald's around the corner? wink At least I would have, in my college days...

I have that same issue... I have an Aureal Vortex II chipset sound card, and randomly within 20 sec... it goes mute..

I have an

Abit KT7A Raid.

Running XP Pro. Build 2600

I had a SBLive! 5.1 on the abit board, and had rediculous amounts of trouble... That whole via incompatibility.... oh well..

I don't have much faith in the SB Audigy cards.... But I hear the new Santa Cruz Turtle Beach card kicks some major arse... And compatibility to boot.