Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Feral

Can Anyone Tell me Why XP takes 3.5gb

I did a check on my C: drive and the windows directory is 3.5gb. I went into the directory to see what files were so large.. I selected all folders and they came up to .97gb. And all files in the c:\windows directory came up to 4.95mb. What gives? where is the other 2.5gb going to?

Anyone know? mad

This Folder has a bunch of cache like files in them.. What is it? Does anyone know?

11 words:

YOU REALLY THINK THIS GUY HAS A TWO GIGABYTE SWAP FILE?

lol, i was gonna say something about it, but i was too lazy...

CUViper: you suck! lol

Ummmmm... Wow.. I wish I had that big xp...

Size: 710 MB (744 629 765 bytes)

oh and btw, hibernation & swap aren't in the windows directory, of course you can move the swapfile into it but that would be pretty pointless.

I think system file protection was the biggest space eater on my box..until I limited its size to 50 MB

Fellas.. I KNOW what a swap file is.. And no.. its an actual folder.. its Called C:\windows\csc. And its a system folder. I just want to know what reasons that a brand new install would have such a folder in it so huge?

I have been researching the net and cant find any info on this folder. Gotta clue as to what it is? Im thinking maybe a system Backup.

Swap file? you mean page file. :-P hehe.

My WINNT directorys 2.1GB.. ouch! the REALLY weird thing is that 300MB just seems to have vanished overnight! straaaange...

--Cynan.

Yea, here we go: MY XP IS BIGGER THAN YOURS, lol

Nah, really mine is "normal" I would say, around 1 GB. The hibernation file does not reside in the WIndows directory, tho, its in the C: root, and is as big as your RAM. Plus the swap...that can reach 2 GB..i think.

Cleaning the "My Documents" folder of unnecessary **** might do as well smile

I've already maped a drive on server i run and moved my documents folder to it... but the "Documnets and Settings" Folder resides as a root on the c: drive.. not in the winnt directory... just so u know..

I did a fresh install after formatting the drives, and came up with 1.5 GB....and that includes a 450 MB page file.

My WinXP takes up 1.3GB, hibernation takes up 1.5GB, and page file takes up 1.5GB. Hibernation size is the amount of RAM you have. PF is the same as long as you let Windows manage it (i think..i mean the difference between pf and hiber size is about 30KB..that can't be a coincidence).

%SystemRoot%\CSC: Client Synchronization folder... used to synch offline files.

C.lient S.ide C.aching.