Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
David Y

omg installing ram req to format?

I just bought 512MB ram to replace my single chip 256MB. Couldn't believe it gave me a blue screen. Do I have to format just for ram? confused If so that's ridiculus mad

No. It doesn't that RAM may be bad. Remember to put it in the 1st slot and test your memory! Also play around with the memory settings.

The ram isn't bad cause I just went back to the shop to test it. Is there any settings I must set in order to install the ram without getting the blue screen on boot?

If you're suddenly getting a blue screen on boot, the memory si probably bad. Try testing it yourself.

There are no settings that have to be changed to upgrade RAM.

Some motherboards just have so many problems with 512MB memory modules.

SUre the manual says it will be fine and of course the person selling you the module will tell you all will be fine, but I've seen more systems fail to see the 512MB module than actually work without a problem.

Blue screen is a major hardware fault - Take your PC in to the people who sold you the module and show them, maybe they will have some ideas.

in your bios, try to set your clock rate down or use less agressive seting 3-3-3 instead of 2-2-2.. see if you still get a BSOD.

and sometimes when it said its PC-133 RAM, it sometimes can't run at 133, specially those with generic brand name.

What type of BSOD is it giving you? If its an OE error then its memory. One thing i noticed is that problematic ram acts up worse on 2k/XP machines than on 9x/ME machines.

Quote:

in your bios, try to set your clock rate down or use less agressive seting 3-3-3 instead of 2-2-2.. see if you still get a BSOD.
and sometimes when it said its PC-133 RAM, it sometimes can't run at 133, specially those with generic brand name.

Thanks that fixed it. It was CAS 3 instead of 2 but I got it exchanged to 2 again smile