Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
enio

56k modem working in 45k wtf ???

working in 45k ? What's that meant to mean ? Do you mean it is working AT 45k/s ?

Be more clear please

It might just be your connection if that's what you mean, or the wires etc.

What modem have you got anyways ?

If you're talking about a 56k modem connecting @56k, it ain't gonna happen. Highest I've ever seen one of mine connect is 49k.

Also, the recent tradgedy may be affecting ISP's. I've noticed some slow downs even with DSL during the week.

well my friend has got the same modem except his is connecting in 52.000(usualy 50.666) and mine is 45.000 grrrrrrrrrrr, it is a GVC internal fax modem(motorola chip).

Its down to loads of things, mainly the phone line quality though. I have a 56k and the highest i get is 46,000 (Usually 42,000). Thing is though that there is next to 0 difference between 46,000 and 50,000 so its nothing to be worried about. If your are connecting at 45,000 then everything is fine.

If its cheap, dont buy it, chances are its a conexant / moterola / whatever winmodem, this means its dependant on the power of your processor to function, and as such, regardless, will always have inferior performance to a more expensive independant piece of hardware, i'd recommend something from US Robotics 3com or if you can get one, a Pace internal 56 (i was very impressed by this piece of kit)

I agree with Spuddeh re: the internal WinModems. Get yourself an external modem (I have a us robotics). Two things aer of benefit with this setup.

a) It doesn't use your cpu like an internal winmodem

B) If you have an electrical storm, and your modem line is plugged into a anti-surger socket, you will get no damage to your pc, unlike the internal modem, which will just fry it.

But for the setup yuo have got, then, as long as you're in the 40's you have nothing to worry about. Connection speeds depend on your area and ISP.

If you dl something I am sure you will see your speeds fluctuate.

So don't worry about it.

But do get yourself an external modem if you can.