Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GH_Hope

Firewall 4 WinXP

Hi

Im about to (or thinking about) putting a firewall on my computer because will shortly be getting static connection to the Internet.

i currently have a super fast 56K modem!!!! With having a dial-up network i did not bother with a firewall for obvious reasons.

I have windows XP that has its own firewall (im guessing that it’s the same firewall as 2000). Could anyone tell me if this firewall would be anygood to use?

I have loads of firewall software kicking around on cds (norten, zonealarm etc) but I dont want to put them on my PC if XP will do the job. I especially don’t want to put Norton onto my PC because Norton products do my T*ts right in by trying to take controll over your pc, when u know all it consaists of is a normal fireall with colourfull screens and buttons....

cheers if u can help

Hope

i didn't know win2k had a firewall function.

i suggest that u don't use XP's built-in firewall and use other products to do the job.

The built in firewall works extremely well against incoming connections (scan on grc.com shows NO evidence of a computer at my IP), but it has no functionality for restricting outbound traffic. So depending on what you need from a firewall, it may work well for you...

Norton Firewall works very well. If you want a freebie, Zone Alarm is easy to get. If you are really serious about protecting your arse, XP's firewall won't do it. Norton Firewall doesn't take over your PC, neither does ZA. Apparently the best in Black Ice Defender, but there have been some complaints about in XP. I assume that we'll see a version out supporting XP fairly soon...

Regardless, really do yourself a favor and get a firewall.

Win2k does not come with a firewall. XP is the first version of Windows to feature this.

I use BlackIce under Win2k and love it, but unfortunately Network Ice are refusing to support WinXP until the retail version is out.

A little short sighted, I think, but it is the best out there, so there's not much else we can do.

AndyF

Cheers for all the help.

I might as well try all the firewalls and get back to u with the results of each 1.

I think at this rate, XP might be coming off my copmuter and win2k going on.

cheers again Hope

I used Black ice for the longest time now. If you want effective, informative and above all easy to use, more like fully automatic, its the way to go.

The other one i am considering is Zone Alarm. I just hear so many good things about it, that I will switch to it soon.

I don't think Win XPee Firewall is good, so use 2 if possib' or just go with Zone Alarm.

P.S. I haven't used Z.A yet!

If you have a spare 486 or above lying around, you could try smoothwall. Turns an obsolete machine into a damn good firewall. Will share just about any connection type available. I use it for sharing my 56k modem and have no complaints at all. Turned a P166 from the shed into a security demon from hell! check out www.SmoothWall.org. Any queries message me.