Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

RAM backward compatibility [SDRAM vs EDO]

Ok people, if this thread is mis-placed please do forgive me, for I find nowhere else to put it.

My system can accept the following RAM specification:

128MB EDO BUFFERED DIMM 3.3v 168 pin.

Note that its MUST be buffered to work.

My question is, since this kind of RAM runs for about 76 bux online (cheapest deal), can I use PC133 compatible ADRAM instead? its cheaper, but I have no idea whether or not it will work on my motherboatd. Here is my motherboard specification:

Micronics w6-Li Dual Pentium Pro motherboard w/ UltrDma/33 support. It currently has 256Mb of memory in the following configuration

1 x 128MB

1 x 64 MB

2 x 32 MB

for a total of 256Mb (4 DIMM slots)

Please remmeber that this is EDO BUFFERED ram (it MUST be buffered)

Again, my question is will PC100 or PC133 SDRAM DIMM memory work on such a motherboard? I would appreciate a reply. Thanx everyone.

I aslo appologize if this seems like its not related at all to WInNT/2k/Xp.

Quote:

Again, my question is will PC100 or PC133 SDRAM DIMM memory work on such a motherboard?

Nope. Not at all. Your stuck with EDO, unless you upgrade your rig.
You can't use DDR or RDRAM either; EDO only.

Bummer. I was hoping to cheap out since EDO memory is very expensive ($76 plus shipping) for a stick of 128 megs. Thanx for replying though. I do appreciate it.

How about newer motherboards that support SD/RD RAM, will they accpet older EDO RAM (60ns) or would they fry them up? again, 3.3v buffered ECC EDO 168 pin DIMM???

Only if they have EDO slots, and if I remember correctly, you'll have to buy your EDO sticks in pairs just like SIMMs.

Quote:

How about newer motherboards that support SD/RD RAM, will they accpet older EDO RAM (60ns) or would they fry them up? again, 3.3v buffered ECC EDO 168 pin DIMM???
No can do - they're not fast enough to keep up with the system bus. A 100MHz bus by definition requires 10ns RAM, and a 133MHz bus needs 7.5ns.