Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shag_man

Diablo II & LOD expansion...Messed up FPS?? Need help

I installed diablo 2 and expansion..ran the video test and with my geforce 3 i ran the 3d (d3d) setup...Went online and change res to 800*600 and i average 30 frames...it jumps from 30 to 60 then sometimes to 6??? WTF??

If i play in single player i get 30 on average???

My geforce ddr 32 meg was better??

Changed all those video game settings like light,perspective and other crap....

Even changed video setting to 2d and same thing??

This setup should fly with a gf3..WTF

Madonion runs fine (d3d)

Quake and HL run fine (opengl)

and fsaa or whateva isnt running..

Need help

confusedconfusedconfusedconfused

I have the EXACT same problem. i used to get around 60 when sitting in town, and 30-45 in battles.

now i get 25 in town and 8-16 in battles?!?!?

and it even migrated from one partition to winME too, so now im screwed totally in both. it never did that before i installed XP.

what the heck!?

i tried the latest Nvidia drivers, nothing. switched to the old, nothing. still slow.

HOWEVER Q3 works fine. sept it locks when i quit, as it does for MANY MANY other users. (???)

whats up with this!?

Diamond Viper V770 (ULTRA) 32 meg

Pentium 3 @ 733 MHz

256Mb 133HMz RAM

i have winXP, the FINAL code wichever one that is.(professional ver.)

Soundblaster LIVE! X-Gamer soundcard

and PLENTY of hdd space free, like 50 gigs free.

I read on the D2 site that the new patch limits fps or some ****???

i dunno....pissed...

at wotk now so if i find a solution i'll repost..

You guys seems to have played one to many 3d games.

D2 is an old facion 2d game and it can never exceed 25 fps even if it say it does.

So as long as you get 25 fps the game runns in optimal speed and no Frame skip will occur.

Also. D2 runnd very bad in D3d mode, its just not optimized for D3d. With a 3dfx card how ever it runns great.

There is Nothing you can do about the bad fps in D3d mode other than ask Blizzard to make a patch or something.

Latest Direct x and drivers might help alittle.

i understand the 25fps thing, but mine barly gets 25. it drops to 20 in town. and wen it goes below 25, its noticable.

type

"FPS"

in the chat window and it tells your fps.

yes mine skips frames all the time now, it NEVER skipped any before XP install.

whats goin on!?!?!

Before you play you could test to turn off some of the WinXP gui enhancements such as the skin. If it dosent help the overall frame rates it atleast makes Alt-Tab faster as the Desktop takes less time to re-draw.

uh... no it aint

i have the latest patch as i play on bnet all the time, and i still have the problem. in single player and multiplayer both.

it is very unstable and is choppy in multiplayer.

can i get some help?

and how can i fix it in winME? it migrated from winXP to winME so i cant play d2 at all now!

and i got a new grafix card, a ATI Radeon SDR 64MB

how the heck can i get better performance?

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've just installed winxp and i've got the exact same problem.

i used to have around 60 70 fps in town and around 30 40fps with many monsters but under xp it's about 20 in town and 5fps with monsters smirk

anybody has a solution for this ?

i can't imagine a world where nobody play diablo2 under winxp !! somebody has the solution i know it !!

I understand that people do want to be running the lastest and greatest, and for some people (mainly people that have recently bought a machine with XP pre-installed) they may not have a choice. For the others though, I recommend you go back to a more proven OS, namely Windows 2000 or Windows 98SE. You are guaranteed to have less frusterations with those until a few things happen. One being manufacturers releasing more tuned and optimized XP drivers, and the other being Microsoft releasing service packs to increase the performance of the OS. Sorry guys, but if something doesn't run (or doesn't run right,) for the next little while, your only choice may be to deal with it.

Intel 933Mhz

512MB RAM

GEFORCE 2 MX200

Game runing as *Direct3D*

I never play online and did it just to check this "FPS" thing out.

Average: 100-120 FPS

Minimum: 70 FPS

I would suggest to modify your settings to improve performance since you seem to be saying it's due to GRAPHICS.

Submitted by Jimmy Ruffin, Madison, Wisconsin

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/october/ruffin1.asp

Windows XP uses processor time to handle system performance according to default settings, which can be adjusted for your computing needs. Also, settings that govern visual effects enhance the appearance of the Windows XP interface, but can slow down performance. You can fine–tune settings in Windows XP Professional to improve performance:

Right–click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab, and in the Performance area, click Settings.

On the Visual Effects tab, click the Custom radio button, and then select which UI features to disable to improve performance.

Click the Advanced tab, and in the Processor scheduling area, click the Background services radio button. Selecting this option means that background tasks that you want to run while you work, such as backup utilities or print jobs, will share processor time equally with programs.

Hope this helps.

well i've already tried to change these settings in performance but it changed nothing...

i think i'll have to wait for better drivers from nvidia or maybe drivers for the sblive

Hi all !

Same probs here and desperate for a solution.

System:

P3 600

i440bx chipset

Nvidia Geforce 2 GTS

256 MB Ram

Windows XP pro (2600)

I have tried:

Nvidia Drivers (win 2k/XP) 12.41,12.90,21.83,21.85

All Windows XP interface frills off.

Killed a ton on non-essential services.

Defragged.

New Motherboard Bios.

Sound turned off, no sound drivers installed.

Played with the mouse features.

Nothing I have done has made any difference *whatsoever* !

The only thing I have yet to try is a fresh install of XP (I installed over the top of 98)

I have issues with other games also.. all performance related issues..

Falcon 4.0

Black and white

European Airwar

The Sims

Other games, operation flashpoint,

Did you peeps having trouble do fresh installs ??

Reverted to win 98 last night and Diablo II ran smooth as butter.

Win XP itself runs perfectly on my system. The GUI is fast with all the bells and whistles, applications launch much quicker than they did under 98.. it's just these performance Issues with some D3d games.

One difference I have noticed, with Mad onion's 3DMark 2000, a test that does not run for me under 98 now runs under Win Xp. This test is the 64 MB texturing test (My Geforce has 32 MB) So obviously some AGP texturing support of some kind has been activated. ( I tried turning off AGP Texture accel under DXdiag and this made no difference either) Also, my bios does not support changing the AGP Aperature size and has defaulted to 64 MB... not sure if this is an issue either.

Going to try and install the Win 98 21.83 Detonators tonight and see if Diablo 2 and others suffer the same probs that they do under win XP with these drivers.

Anyway, I am at my wits end with all this wink

Cheers,

Surf

well i got a new ATI radeon 64 mb SDR a while back, but it made no differance as i do not run my game in d3d.

anyways i got the latest drivers for it and all of a sudden its working quite nicly now. I am not even sure if it is infact the drivers that are doing it or not!!

But it seems to be working ok with the latest XP-specific drivers...... If thats actually whats making it work good that is, im not sure.

P.S.

i have my p3@733 running at 826, but it gets unstable any higher can any1 help me get it to 1000?

Quote:

anyways i got the latest drivers for it and all of a sudden its working quite nicly now. I am not even sure if it is infact the drivers that are doing it or not!!

which drivers are you talking about ?

Hi All,

Just an update.

Uninstalled XP

Loaded the 21.83 for Win 9x Detonators.

Diablo 2 smooth as glass in direct3D mode, which makes me think that this is not a driver related problem, at least not entirely

Reinstalled XP

Reinstalled Diablo 2

Patched to 1.09b

Tried the game first with drivers that XP installs

Installed win 2k det 650s (I know they are old, but they are the rev that I use under 98)

Installed my manufacturer specific 21.85(looked just like the ref drivers)

None of the above made any difference !

This is not a RAM/VM issue, the perfomance with diablo 2 is consistantly bad and is totally unplayable with the map on, and while the game chugs away, the HDD is silent.

Diablo 2 runs fine under XP for me in directdraw mode, but is really bad in direct3D

It runs like butter all the time (except for the areas of slowdown that everyone seems to have) under Win 98 in direct3D mode.

Next thing to try is a fresh install I guess, although I am ,loath to do that.

Maybe first I might try setting XP up with the absolute bare minumum of services running to see if that may help...

Cheers,

Surf

Another update.

Did a fresh instal of XP onto a blank drive

Installed Diablo 2, LOD and the 1.09b patch

Still chug city, and unplayable with the map on

I know this hardware can run the game perfectly so it is to do with XP/Diablo itself.

Incidentaly, I tried the game before I installed LOD and it was fine, once LOD is installed performance takes a dive.. even in 640x480.

I give up ;P

The new 1.09c patch is out. Does it make any difference for you people having problems?

Quote:
mAdMaTt["]
i can't imagine a world where nobody play diablo2 under winxp !! somebody has the solution i know it !!

Madmatt, i have WinXP and playing diablo 2 just fine and nice. and now warcraft 2 Bne worthless on WinXP cant join games anymore thats just really nice :\