Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dazultra2000

Which detonators to use in WinXP?

I've tried 14.70, but get frequent errors in fullscreen 2d games with a BSOD in nv4_disp.

I didn't like the windows default ones due to the lack of the quicktweak controls.

Is there a set of drivers that work, or is there a way i can get similar performance AND the controls from the windows default drivers?

Im using 14.20, no complaints here, they are fast and havent given me any trouble. Quicktweak included.

Try the new 20.xx series on the Nvidia site. They boast XP support apparently. I had the 12.41 (the previous "official" drivers) and had no problems whatsoever...

I discovered that my BSODs were caused by a piece of faulty hardware (not identified yet). Also, the 2x.xx driver series are becoming reknowned for disastrous speed drops.

Well, all I can say is, under Win2k on my GF2 MX I've gotten some bumps up in the DirectX 8 arena. 3DMark2001 jumped close to 200 points after the drivers were installed. The ones that I've been using up til now have been the 10.80's, some of the fastest ones out there. Everything else after the 10.80, up through the 12.10--when I stopped trying out new dets, would drop my performance a tad in non DX8 scenarios. I haven't suffered a drop in performance at all with the 21.80's, plus DX8 gets a boost that doesn't affect the system.

I got an Elsa TNT 16MB card, with Det4 2X.XX, works fine.

Can't complain. Well, actually I never did before either. This is one of the most powerfull vid cards in the world. :P

No kidding, I got it so long ago, and I am still kicking but with it, never play below 1028x768@16bit, usually @32bit though with full details any game. Never had a prob.

I wonder how long I can stretch it out before I will need a new card. That day sure hasn't come yet for no game exists that requires a better card up to this moment in time anyway. One of the great things with TNT1 is it gets more powerful with CPU and RAM, this was a bad thing when it first came out, but now its an advantage.

8) 8) 8) 8)

Yep, you better believe it, its no joke! I think by the time I throw $ out for a new vid card we will be in the TNT XXXXX 10 era.

I bet if you bought an Geforce MX even, you'd never go back. Buy a GTS or a GF2 Pro and you'll be like 'man I had no idea'

just friendly speculation. TNT1's were awesome when they came out. I still run one in a POS server of mine! smile

Good luck

j

I had a tnt2ultra then i went to a geforce 3 just installed the new det xp's and wow what a speed boost. get them!

Tom

ya, you r right, TNT 1 was awsome when it first came out, but a lot of people complained about it being so CPU and RAM dependant, unlike Voodoo. So that is what i meant by it not being such an advantage at that time, but now it is, because everytime u get new CPU your are also making your vid card better.

ofcourse I can't achieve crazy high fps like somepeople here, but it really is good and very very smooth in any game.

I got an ATI Radeon 64meg DDR vi/vo (mainly for DVD & tv out) for my frineds whe i built them a system, and even though they had an un-overcklocked 1gig w.266Mhz FSB, i couldn't realy tell the diference in game performance. Honestly, but when i tested it w. 3d mark 2000, the score was much much higher than mine ofcourse.

At one time, my TNT1 was performing badly, but after i got a new mobo, CPU, RAM, etc it came alive. So i decided what the heck, if its doing good now, i may as well wait until more & better vid cards come out buy one when I actually need one.

smile