Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Philipp

Forum upgrade is coming

A new forum upgrade is coming. I replace phpBB shortly with my own message board application.

Here two screenshots:

stforums1.png

stforums2.png

The new forum is fully integrated in the main site and have some new features like the possibility to mark a post as answer. However, some features such as who's online are missing in the current version.

This is way different in the new forums. There is now a "current topics" option which will display the last 10 topics of each single forum.

The folder for each topic is marked in 4 different colors, depend on the age of each post:

redfolder.png Posts of the last 6 hours

greenfolder.png Posts of the last 7-12 hours

bluefolder.png Posts of the last 12-24 hours

yellowfolder.png 24 hours+

This was necessary because the new forum is using a caching system like the rest of the website.

Just a quick note that the search function is currently not working because the search index is missing. I will reindex the search index tomorrow morning.

Not bad smile but you really need to make/change the icons in the header template to be more identifiable... those just don't work. You really can't tell what the functions are???

Also, we lost a bunch of neat emoticons frown ! and I notice that this doesn't accept html ;-).

Very nice, thank you! I agree with jimf43, the edit..icons need an identifier to clue newer users as to what they are. I had to look at the bottom of my browser screen to id them. Most suers will not get this.

Originally posted by jimf43:

Quote:
You really can't tell what the functions are???

profile.png View the profile

solved.png Mark this topic as solution (topic starter only)

quote.png Reply with quote to this post

edit.png Edit this post

delete.png Delete this post (admin only)

I will put up a small forum FAQ/guide later

Quote:
This is way different in the new forums. There is now a "current topics" option which will display the last 10 topics of each single forum.

The folder for each topic is marked in 4 different colors, depend on the age of each post:
Posts of the last 6 hours
Posts of the last 7-12 hours
Posts of the last 12-24 hours
24 hours+

This was necessary because the new forum is using a caching system like the rest of the website.

There needs to be something at the bottom or top of the forum index window to explain these.

Quote:
Very nice, thank you! I agree with jimf43, the edit..icons need an identifier to clue newer users as to what they are. I had to look at the bottom of my browser screen to id them. Most suers will not get this.

That is true! The status line works, sort of, but not all of the new stuff can be understood from there. What is "sub text"? What is "tt text"? What is "s text"? I know what a "marquee" is in some programs, but what is it here? And so forth. I, and probably many others do not use all these functions often, but some of them are used occasionally. Without something to identify them on the edit page, the occasional ones will be forgotten, especially since the status line info is unclear on a lot of them...

Quote:

View the profile
Mark this topic as solution (topic starter only)
Reply with quote to this post
Edit this post
Delete this post (admin only)

These icons 'bleed' into the background, making some of them difficult to differentiate from one another, leaving only the left-to-right position to identify them, and their meaning is unknown, unless you jump to the post I coppied the above from, or the faq to be produced. (It would be nice if the delete function was available to the post's 'owner' as well as 'admin'. 8)

It won't allow me to edit my post! "Not allowed" error! This is bad! really bad! (In addition, the "Include my profile signature" is not fixed, it needs to be turned on for each post...:o

Did you notice that in one of my posts above that the icons I was speaking of were not there, just the text explanations? I wanted to quote text from several other posts, so I copied and pasted, using the "Quote" icon in the "Quick Code" icon bar to differentiate them. The icons, though highlighted, did not get pasted in! (Will the "Quick Code" icon allow us to add the name of the poster who is quoted? :x

Originally posted by maillion:

Quote:
What is "sub text"? What is "tt text"? What is "s text"? I know what a "marquee" is in some programs, but what is it here? And so forth. I, and probably many others do not use all these functions often, but some of them are used occasionally. Without something to identify them on the edit page, the occasional ones will be forgotten, especially since the status line info is unclear on a lot of them...

button_bold.png

bold text

button_right.png

right text

button_italic.png

italic text

button_font.png

[font:arial]Using different font (here arial)[/font]

button_underline.png

underlined text

button_size.png

[size:20]Using different font size (here 20)[/color]

button_sup.png

sup text

button_sub.png

sub text

button_color.png

Using different color (here red)

button_quote.png

Quote:
quoted text

button_tt.png

[tt]tt text[/tt]

button_url.png

URL: http://www.linuxcompatible.org

button_urllink.png

URL with description: Linux Compatible

button_marquee.png

[marquee]marquee text[/marquee]

button_email.png

Email: myemail@provider (not recommended *)

button_emaillink.png

Email with description: [email:email@provider]My Email[/email] (not recommended *)

button_center.png

center text

button_left.png

left text

button_images.png

URL to image

* Posting emails in the public are not recommended because of Spam harvesters. I would use private messages instead.

Quote:
It won't allow me to edit my post! "Not allowed" error! This is bad! really bad! (In addition, the "Include my profile signature" is not fixed, it needs to be turned on for each post...:o

Is this an older post? There is an edit limit of 2 hours.

Quote:
In addition, the "Include my profile signature" is not fixed, it needs to be turned on for each post...:o

Added to my do list. Should be done in the next 2 days

Quote:
Will the "Quick Code" icon allow us to add the name of the poster who is quoted? :x

No, you need to click on the quote with reply icon (quote.png) to do this.

Originally posted by Philipp:

Quote:
Originally posted by jimf43:

Quote:
You really can't tell what the functions are???

profile.png View the profile

solved.png Mark this topic as solution (topic starter only)

quote.png Reply with quote to this post

edit.png Edit this post

delete.png Delete this post (admin only)

I will put up a small forum FAQ/guide later

I figures that out wink... No offense Philipp, but, those are the least legable/descriptive icons that I've seen in a long while. Give me the format and I'll make you some good ones smile.

A temporary solution might be to have pop-up labels on each of the functions; if your program allows it.

[Edited by jimf43 on 2004-03-20 12:44:36]

Quote:

Quote:

Is this an older post? There is an edit limit of 2 hours.

Quote:
In addition, the "Include my profile signature" is not fixed, it needs to be turned on for each post...:o

Added to my do list. Should be done in the next 2 days

Quote:
Will the "Quick Code" icon allow us to add the name of the poster who is quoted? :x

No, you need to click on the quote with reply icon (quote.png) to do this.

No, as usual, the moment I could see my message, I saw a typo, and tried to fix it - it told me I was not allowed. Thanks for the explanation and examples of the edit buttons. there are are some that look cool!

8)

I still cannot edit my own posts. This is the error I get:

"Error: Can't open template forum_error_notallowed"

Please help. :x

Quote:
I still cannot edit my own posts. This is the error I get:

"Error: Can't open template forum_error_notallowed"

Please help. :x

Please send me a PM with your login. I need to take a look.

Quote:
I still cannot edit my own posts.

Fixed.

Quote:

Quote:
I still cannot edit my own posts.

Fixed.

Trial

Ahhh! That's better!

8)

good job the only thing i gotta say is i cant tell when new posts are posted because im color blind

none the less good job