Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dazultra2000

General Stutturing in WinXP (mainly sound and mouse)

Typically, when doing general things on my PC, my mouse will stop mid-movement and then continue again, as if someone is pausing the action briefly.

A similar thing happens withMP3s, but instead of the sound stopping, it 'strectches'. Is it possible that the two are related somehow? And is it possible to fix?

It could be a driver problem, but I haven't had it on any other OS so far.

What i would also like to know is what drivers are best for my system etc.

I have an HPT370 controller built in, and I would like to know what BIOS/driver is best (1.2 both at the moment)

What VIA sets I should install (if any) or any components of

What soundblaster live driver set i should use (currently on the windows update one)

and if there are any USB patches available for it (Seems to be generic drives atm)

Thank you for any help.

Duron 800

256MB Crucial PC133 CAS2 SDRAM

Abit KT7-RAID (3R BIOS + 1.2 RAID BIOS)

SBLive Player 1024

3com 3c900XL PCI 10mbit network card

Maxtor 30.7GB UDMA100 Hdd on IDE3 Master

Ricoh MP9060A 6x4x24x4x CDRW/DVD combo drive on IDE2 Master

Modified FOP38 (YS-Tech 60mm 5000rpm Fan)

Creative GeForce Annihilator (GF256) (12.90 drivers)

Windows XP

Microsoft intellimouse explorer USB

Microsoft Internet keyboard pro USB

Logitech Wingman gamepad USB

Elsa Microlink 56k USB modem

AND my PSU is an AMD recommended 300W ATX supply.

It's almost certainly the HTP370 controller. The latest drivers (1.2) which you seem to be using are very very slow. Downgrade the drivers (BIOS can stay as it is) to 1.1 or 1.0b and you should see a distinct speed improvement

Well...I updated from the 1.03b drivers & BIOS to see if the newer ones were any better...so it doesn't seem to be that.

What is the version windowsXP uses by default?

Hi,

I have the same problem... My problem seems to be the 3COM NIC! It sometimes disconnect to the internet and gives stutter in sound at the same time...

Have you found a solution to your problem?

Best regards

Ola Ekedahl

It's the HPT370 drivers

I think I must have had some mixed up files.

Upon the reinstall of 1.03b drivers and BIOS, the problems went. Thanks for the input.

Good luck crafty

hi ....

ihave the same problem.....first i think that the 2600 build resolve this problem,but not. i have the 1.03b bios and the same drivers....yeah its better but not same as a performance as i had in w2k...my mouse always stopping.... sound's scrating...i turn off any of winXP animating shits and shadows under every****ig window (becasue when a have it turned on my windows is minimazing or hiding very slow,mouse freeze for a while...)... so i don't thing That is GOOD..so whatta U thinking?

I have a Creative TNT graph.card...the problem wasn't so big if i use the original win XP drivers, but when i put the detonator 6.31 on it my windows freezes with my mouse too....

so i turn off any animating shits...and shadows...

Please help me...

i have tried 6.35 detonators but my computer fails when i'm wathig video files...has anybody ay idea what detonators work? or HPT 370 best drivers...

I would suggfest you use some much newer drivers with your TNT. I'm not sure what versions support the TNT, but as I understand it, the 6.xx series of drivers are quite outdated now. I'm fairly sure the 12.xx and the 14.xx series support the TNT. It may be useful to try this and see what results you get.

If you don't experience any change, it seems that the problem would originate somewhere else in your system.

ok i'll try....sorry where can i download the olders detonator?i know there is somewhere on inet a library of detonaotrs byt i don't remember....

Man I have been plagued with trying to fix this problem ever since BETA 1 of XP. Now running 2600 and never was able to fix it. I just kept going back to putting my hard drives on the regular south bridge IDE's. Never thought of older drivers. If someone has tried the old drivers and has had it work, please post what drivers exactly do work. Thanks so much, Aaron

Well the Highpoint Drivers are certainly where the problem lies in this thread and older drivers in this case is more the key. So again if anyone has found a specific driver build that works well, let me know. -Aaron

Ah, well if we are on the subject of highpoint, then 1.03b is the ONLY way to go in my opinion. use the 1.03b BIOS, with the 1.03b drivers, and your problems (should) disappear. that is exactly what i did, and for some reason, the second time I did it, it worked.

Make sure you don't assume that the windows default are 1.03b, because they aren't smile

Go to the highpoint site (or Pauls VIAhardware FAQ) and get the 1.03b driver. then, it's all down to your motherboard manufacturer for teh RAID BIOS.

Luckily, i have a KT7-RAID, and there are plenty of sites with modded BIOSes around.

www.biosmods.com is a good place to start (there are other BIOSes for other boards too)

A good BIOS for the KT7 series is either ZT with 1.03b BIOS, or 3r with 1.03b BIOS, but be aware that 3r has the CPU Halt function disabled, and so you will experience higher idle temperatures (although this is supposed to help fix some problems)

I suggest trying ZT/1.03b first, and if the problem is still there, try 3r/1.03b.

You are a genius. This problem has been a pain to me for months. I just loaded up XP and installed the 103b drivers and it is champ. Can't thank you enough. Good to have my RAID back. -Aaron

hi everybody.....i solved my problem whith my mouse freezin'

it's very simple...just try another drivers for your graphic card and let the best working (b'cause windowsXP animation in system probably very depence on graphic card....now i'm using the detonators 10.80 for my TNT..those are the best (for me}...i've tried the new 14.70 for XP but preformance was not good yet..mouse freeze a little..

ok guys now we must wait for official drivers for our HPT370 Raids and i thing that a stay on XP platform forever :-))and we solve the "sound scrathing" forever

Thanks all for posting and help suport..especially Dazultra 2000

I'm glad to help you all. smile

Now it's my PC that's giving me problems smirk

I'm fairly sure it's either half of my RAM is dodgy, or my graphics card is up the creek. I should be buying more RAM soon, but the graphics card may have to wait :(((

Just a tip...XP doesn't really like anything less than 256 for smooth operation. Seeing as i'm limited to 128mb for the moment, i'm not enjoying it.

i have 256MB ram now but i'm plannig to buy a new graphic card (Asus 7700/G2GTS/32MB DDR)

i know RAM size is the second important thing to smooth work...(first is CPU) smile

bye a and thanks