Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ITGL72

IIS issue with different accounts

Running IIS on NT4 with service pack 4, and all the latest security patches. When I launch the IIS MMC and look at the websites and ftp sites they are all STOPPED and have lost their names. For example it looks like

FTP Site #1 Stopped

FTP Site #2 Stopped.... etc...

Website #1 Stopped

Website #2 Stopped.... etc...

If I try to click on properties I get:

"The server has not been configured to use the server extensions to configure it choose configure server extensions from the task menu." I had someone on the outside test the websites and they ARE still coming up. Something has gone awry here. Not sure what to look at next to rectify the situation. We have applied the hotfixes when they first came out.

In event view I'm getting:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: W3SVC

Event Category: None

Event ID: 115

Date: 8/27/2001

Time: 6:58:45 AM

User: N/A

Computer: (SERVER NAME HERE)

Description:

The service could not bind instance 7. The data is the error code.

I have several of those in event viewer where the instance number is different.

I also have a few like this but I don't think this is as much an issue, I deleted some of these old directories a while ago and don't believe I saw any errors related to them until now:

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: W3SVC

Event Category: None

Event ID: 101

Date: 8/27/2001

Time: 6:39:24 AM

User: N/A

Computer: (SERVER NAME HERE)

Description:

The server was unable to add the virtual root '' for the directory 'F:\InetPub\wwwroot\(website-dir-here) due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code.

Also while researching the event id 115/w3svc event id I noticed it said:

"As per Microsoft: "Some or all of the Web sites that are using Host Headers have the same port number defined for Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). Internet Information Server 4.0 does not support the use of Host Headers for SSL.". See the link below for workaround."

I do have some sites with host headers but never set up SSL on them.

NOW HERE IS WHAT I NOTICED THE NEXT DAY:

When I saw this issue on the web server the account that was logged in was my partners administrative account. Late in the day when I logged in, all the websites were back, HOWEVER, they were ALL STOPPED. I had to restart them. Where this came from I'm not sure and plan on investigating. My partners account and my account, both have the same administrative privileges so they should both be the same. That's what has puzzled me thus far.

I compared my personal administrative account with my partners administrative account and they are both members of the same administrative groups. I checked the permissions on the directories where the websites reside and everything seems good there as well.

What permissions is IIS running this against to determine that my account can manage IIS, but my partners account cannot?

This is probably something so simple, I'm almost embarrassed to ask about it!

I thought IIS just ran under a system account. More researching for me....

Any suggestions? What has happened to the site names? any suggestions welcome, thank you! I will continue to research this online, I may also reapply the service pack and see what that does...

ahh the life of a rookie....

Well, IIS should be running under the system account, so I don't know why it would behave any differently. Also, are you using FrontPage extensions? Maybe they fizzled out and are giving you issues. I got the newest ones that support FP2002, and they seem to be working fine (and are a bit faster as well).

It does have server extensions, but we do not use them anymore. Wonder if I should delete them or disable them alltogether? Maybe just install them just to be safe.

I played with this box this morning, I get the same situation whether I login with the admin account or my partners account, but all seems well with my account! I fiddled with directory permissions in spots just to test outsome ideas but I'm still at the same location.

frown

Two things-

1) SP4? Try SP6a.

2) PAsswords. NT 4 is retarded if you have a service that can specify what account to use- and the password. So if you tell a service to use Administrator and then the password, it won't work if you chnage the Administrator password.

Just my 2 cents