Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sparkhard

What OS for my file/Halflife server. ??

Hi, I am setting up a file server for my dorm. it will be a P3 450 with 256MB 30GB . It will be running on an 8 port switch. All of the stuff is generic crap (except for the switch). But it will do its job. This used to be my roomates old personal PC and i know for a fact that all of the hardware is 2k compatible.

So my question is. What OS should i run on it. Should i get NT 4 server or 2000 server or maybe Mandrake. I dont know enough about the server versions of NT and 2000 to make a decision.

So if you guys could give me some suggestions for and OS ( AND WHY YOU SUGGEST IT) I would appreciate it.

Should i get win2k Server or could i stick with 2k Pro. what would be better (if either would be) and what are the differences.

Any pros/cons ?? any reply is appreciated.

Remember i know that the hardware is compatible in NT systems. And I will have to be able to run Halflife/Counterstrike.

Thanks a bunch guys, Sparkhard

I don't think you need Win2k or NT Server just for HL/CS. If you're actually going to use Win2k Server, I hope you're going to do more than just use it for hosting games, unless your running quad cpu's.

I'd say go with Win2k Pro myself, not server. You may want to up your ram tho, that would be a better investment than a new OS.

NT is older, and may be harder to work with newer hardware. Linux--unless you really want to make things harder, probably best to skip it.

Win2k Pro is your best bet.