Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NOKIA

Irq problem on windows 2000pro

Well first time ever I had a problem with 2000k.

Anyways did a fresh installs of 2000k the problem Im having is that Irq 11 is being shared by gf2card, usb controller.

I disabled acpi and that didnt work, i tried moving the sound card around to see if that works but no end result!

My specs are

msi k7t266 pro

1.33(not overclocked)

512 megs of ddr

46.1 split in 2 hd (98se/2000k)

12x burner

48x cdrom

usb mouse

via-4.32 patches

usb 1.08

service pack 2

any suggestions or comment are always helpful, also Im gettin the problem tha graphic are being hurt by this and so is my sound!

if any one got any related in please post!

thanks you for your time

NOKIAconfused

Are you sure that the IRQ sharing is having a negative impact on your machine's performance. There could be any number of other reasons.

with ACPI on, it should all share the same IRQ(more or less)

This has been pretty standard since 2k came out, and it has worked flawlessly for myself and everyone I know.

how is the GF2 being hurt by this?

Well on Q3 my fps person droped alot, on tribes 2 Im chocking, and sound is being hurt when I lay MP3's its stutters, also Im not oveclocking so stability is not the problem!

thanks for looking!

Hello!

With ACPI ON - my GeForce 2 and my SB sound card share IRQ with HPT370 controller too => IRQ 11

No problems in W2k at all.

What kind of MB and drivers do you use ?

Regards D.

My specs are

msi k7t266 pro

1.33(not overclocked)

512 megs of ddr

46.1 split in 2 hd (98se/2000k)

12x burner

48x cdrom

usb mouse

via-4.32 patches

usb 1.08

service pack 2

You shouldn't have disabled ACPI if you weren't having problems. ACPI specs make PCI cards share IRQ's it is part of the PCI 2.1 or 2.2 spec. Did your framerates drop after ACPI was disabled or before? Because you said you noticed that all your IRQs were being shared [not a problem] but then you disabled ACPI, shouldn't have because PCI cards share IRQs. So to get ACPI back you need to reinstall a clean copy of Windows 2000.

If you do re-install win2k, dont install the service pack at first. I really don't know if it has anything to do with it, but after reading through these posts, it seems that a number of people (including myself) have had all different, almost random problems upon installing SP2. Just a suggestion.

when i had win2k running, i remembered that my AGP card share IRQ 11 with 3 other PCI cards (LAN, SB LIVE, SCSI card) and only the TV Tuner use IRQ7.

and there were plenty of irq unoccupied. Duno why Win2k don't use them?

With Win2k, if it runs fine and stable, I'll say this: LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

I fooled with the IRQ's once and ended up having to reinstall everything. You'll have to play around with settings, but there's no reason to fool with the IRQ's. Not been worth it.