Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
manishthatte

A novice to linux?

Hi all,

I installed Red-hat linux (the complete set of 4 CDs) more out of curiosity than necessesity on my machine.

What my inpression was that its too technical, after all who is going to learn and do all that programming (Certainly not I , as a novice non computer-geek.) And I certainly dont have the time. (No insult intended to the people who developed Linux)

Especially with accessing data on my Fat 32 partitions from my old windows days.

Also, no guidelines about setting up my undetected TV card, modem card and sound card.

Can anybody please guide me to any URLs where I can get some automatic quickfix solutions to my problems?

Thank you,

Manish Thatte

INDIA

First, you did not mention what version of RedHat that you installed...9? Fedora...?

Once you know that, you can go from there.

Before installing any Linux Distro, you should check the web page of that distro to see if your hardware is supported. For example, if the version of RedHat that you installed is older than your hardware, you can expect some problems. This is true of any OS.

So, what version are you running?

You also do not mention what the exact hardware is that RedHat did not detect. What make and model sound card and video/tv card?

Accessing a vfat partition (windows partition) should not be problematic, but then again, let us know what version that you are using, so we can provide you with some specifics.

To give an example, if you are using RedHat 9 , see the following link;

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-q-and-a-windows.html

Then we can start!

Hi manishthatte. No insult intended by my remark, but if you just want to point and click your way through an OS, then I think you're just setting yourself up for a lot of frustration by checking out Linux. It isn't for everyone, especially users who don't have the time to really investigate or understand it.

Like many here, I use Linux because I'm able to make it work for me in my businesses in a way that Windows will never be able to. There is also the "hobbyist" factor with Linux that keeps one attracted to using it. It won't be nearly as easy to use as XP. The swap off however, for the difficulty of learning Linux, is freedom.

Again, I'm not trying to be snide or condescending, I just thought I'd try to save you an awful lot of difficulty that you may not be prepared to undergo. If on the other hand, you become as intrigued with Linux as we are, then please let us know. Most everyone here, including me, will be more than happy to assist you. smile

I kinda agree with the part about linux not being easy to use. I think alot of linux users just noe how to work with gnome and kde. Accessing the shell and other stuff is another story. Btw, i onli have the 2 disc editon of rh 8.0 publisher's edition. What s on the other like 4 cds?