Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
linux1

cant connect MDK 9.2 to my LAN

hellooo everyone

im using LAN to connect to the internet under my XP

i tried so disparatly to connect my Mandrake 9.2 to the internet but it wont connect at all

these are my infos from ipconfig under XP

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cen.asu.edu

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapt

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-2C-05-FE-3F

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 155.91.164.51

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 155.91.165.254

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 155.91.28.204

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 155.91.210.204

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 155.91.210.103

Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 155.91.210.116

i know that im suppose to use DHCP

but im confused with the DHCP client box in mandrake..should i put that number under DHCP server "155.91.28.204"

or what should i do

i really need some good help guys

as a reminder .. im a newBIE

This confuses a lot of people. I wish I could remember all the details in Mandrake that I posted previously. In a nutshell, if the box is set up correctly and is working in XP, then you need to choose the option in the Mandrake network config. utility to auto detect the connection with DHCP. You do not need to enter any numerical values. This got me as well.

The possible issues are the following;

1. Is the box connected to cable modem via USB, or through a router? There have been other posts about Mandrake 9.2 and direct connections to the cable modem via USB. Connecting trough a router works much better for most.

take a look at the following thread;

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1233&highlight=mandrake+dhcp

2. During install, the card should have been detected, At this point you should have selected to auto detect with DHCP.

3. Is this a nForce motherboard? Special drivers are needed to get the onboard LAN working.

Now the pleasant surprise, I took Mempis over to my step-dad's house to show him Linux. His is set up via a USB to the cable modem and it worked.

So, this is getting better!

thx danleff for replying

the cable is connected throw a router

and mdrk have detected my ethernet card

VIA Technology "VT6102 Rhine II"

and its onboard

when i set it to auto detect my connection using DHCP, it gives me this weired ip address 127.255.255.255

OK, but is the internet connection working?

If not;

1. Does your ISP Dynamically or statically assign your address?

If dynamic, that no values are entered for the IP address.

2. The connections are as such?;

modem --> cat 5 to the router primary connection

system box --> router

3. What make and model is the router? wired or wireless router?

4. Look at the cat 5 connection to the motherboard, when the system is booted, do you see the green light next to the connection to the motherboard (the NIC connection)?

5. What motherboard/system is this? It is not an nforce chipset?

well

the internet is not working at all

unknown host is what i get when i try to access any website

my ip is static , its assigned by the network admin in school

i live on school campus so we get free LAN connection to the net

when i do the ifconfig eth0

it gives me the same hardware address under xp

so it recognize my ethernet card

when i reboot with DHCP and assign the command ifconfig eth0

it gives me

eth 0 :

with no ip address

eth0: 9 <-- ?

with an ip address of 127.255.255.255

and my lo

man this is sooo confusing, even the network admin in school didnt know how to help me, probably because we dont have many linux users in school

when i run the network wizard under kde

the dhcp client, do i put the same address i have under ipconfig / DHCP server???

or leave it blank??

im sooooooooooooooooooo confused

In some cases, yes. I would be helpful to be able to rule it out as the source of the problem.

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:
This confuses a lot of people. I wish I could remember all the details in Mandrake that I posted previously. In a nutshell, if the box is set up correctly and is working in XP, then you need to choose the option in the Mandrake network config. utility to auto detect the connection with DHCP. You do not need to enter any numerical values. This got me as well.

The possible issues are the following;

1. Is the box connected to cable modem via USB, or through a router? There have been other posts about Mandrake 9.2 and direct connections to the cable modem via USB. Connecting trough a router works much better for most.

take a look at the following thread;

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1233&highlight=mandrake+dhcp

2. During install, the card should have been detected, At this point you should have selected to auto detect with DHCP.

3. Is this a nForce motherboard? Special drivers are needed to get the onboard LAN working.

Now the pleasant surprise, I took Mempis over to my step-dad's house to show him Linux. His is set up via a USB to the cable modem and it worked.

So, this is getting better!

Hi friend,

I have the same problem.. But I use a nForce chipset. can you please help me. The link u gave points to something else.. and one silly question... how do i enable the DHCP Client option in mandrake 9.2 ..

thanks

whizkid

If you have an onboard nForce NIC, then you have a couple of options. From what I remember, Mandrake 9.2 does not directly support these chipsets...they were too new for the version.

Depending on your level of experience with Linux, you can;

1. Take the easiest way out and buy a PCI NIC card that is supported in Linux. There are several that will work and the cost is around $10-15 USD.

2. Install the NVIDIA chipset drivers...not the graphic drivers.

3. Compile a new kernel with the support built in for the chipset.

4. Upgrade to Mandrake 10, which has the support built in for the mForce boards.

You should have been given the option when you installed Mandrake to set up DHCP. However, depending on what way you go, you can use the Mandrake Control Center to set up the NIC card.

hi danleff,

thanks for the reply. I have installed drivers of mandrake 9.0(my installled version is 9.2) from the link.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0248.html. will that be enough. how do i check whether linux detects my ethernet card.

and u didnt tell me where to enable DHCP Client function is mandrake. is it in mandrake control center?? actually i didnt find it anywhere ?

sorry for all the silly qns.. i am just a newbie with linux.

thanks n regards

whizkid

Ok, I see where the issue is now. Drakeconf is not available eaily in 9.2. This is why I don't like 9.2.

Open your home directory (the house icon on the lower left, mear the start menu).

From the dropdown menu of konqueror, pick Tools-->open terminal.

In the terminal window, type drakconf. you will be prompted fro your root password

The Contol Center will open up. On the left, pick Network & Internet

Pick the DrakConnect helps you set up your network and Internet connection icon.

in that window, if internet access does not show a status of connected, and if there is no eth0 entry (or otherwise) under lan Configuration, click on the launch the wizard button. Allow the utility to use auto detection to set up the LAN.

Under Choose the connection you want to configure, you should see LAN as the connection found..go from there.

See if this works.