Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Inray

Quick NTFS format on Win2k reinstallation ?

I reinstall Win2k/Pro on the same computer every week or so (it's part of my work to test clean installations). The problem is that win2k need almost an hour to format a 100GB hard disk (NTFS). The only option to make things faster is to overwrite a previous installation, but in that case Windows overwrite most system files but leaves all the other (old programs, data etc).

Do you know any "quick format" method available on installation or just before ? It would be nice (at least for me) to reinstall Win2k in less than an hour...

Thanks

Get a ghost or something similar and make an image of just basic install, there are not that many options during installation that you choose anyway.

Then just restore the image. It’ll take about 10 mins for every Win2k install smile

You can also create an answer file and place it on the floppy disk for the install. Then erase partition (DON'T make a new one) and boot from the CD with the answer file on the floppy, windows will automatically pick it up and do the install. It looks for some specific file name and use those options to install itself. It doesn't seem to format in this case, at least I haven't noticed. I usually leave the disk in, come back and Win2k already installed. cool

For information on how to do it refer to the win2k CD, it comes with a very nice answer file building kit and a good write up of all the option including as to which file name windows looks for on the floppy (I can't remember of had, I made it so long ago).

Inray,

You could partition the drive and install a minimal W2K installation, when you want to "wipe" the other partition, you then use the format command:

format <drive>: /fs:ntfs /q

The /q parameter is for quick format (it only deletes then recreates the NTFS meta-files!).

wink

What is the knock on quick formats ? I haven't really gotten this idea yet. but I guess it doesn't delete the content thoroughly correct?

i dunno, i thought all a regular/quick format did was rewrite the FAT. i always thought of it as a table of contents.

--------------------

BTW, booting off the Windows XP cd in DOS mode, Setup allows you to do quick formats, usually what i do is delete the partition i want to reinstall to, and Quick format the RAW partition to NTFS..

All,

The /q parameter is used to:

"Delete the file table and the root directory of a previously formatted volume, but does not scan for bad areas. You should use the /q switch to format ONLY previously formatted volumes that you know are in good condition."

wink