Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Philipp

Dell Stops Offering Desktop Computers with Linux

Dell Computer Corp. (NasdaqNM:DELL - news), the world´s No. 1 PC maker, said on Thursday it no longer offers the option of installing Linux (news - web sites) on its personal computers, citing a lack of demand for the alternative operating system.

Read more

mainly because the people who would want linux on the computer would much rather do it themselfs. A reletive of mine ordered a computer preinstalled with linux and it was filled with EVERYthing from a redhat installation, meaning the company basically checked "all" instead of customizing it or the recommended installation. It's much more easier to install linux yourself because you know what you need and don't need, however a company does not.

Red Hat isn't really for the desktop. Mandrake is the *much* better desktop linux wink

this kid was telling me the other day that linux is going to take over the desktop from windows and i was all baked so i was like whatever and i lauged a lot

i guess he was wrong (like i didn't allready know that)

lol

Linux is here to stay I believe, but I don't think it will necessarily be dominating the desktop anytime soon. I have used Linux enough to know that anybody who thinks it's going to take over the desktop market, especially on the home front, is crazy. Many people see the computer on the same level as a TV or toaster, and they just want to turn it on an do what they want. Windows, while it does have problem--like any OS, is much easier to use than Linux. While I personally don't like or want XP, I certainly see why it would be appealing to more than just a few computer users.

I don't think Windows is going down any time soon. Linux has potential, but it also needs some work before I really would consider it for home use.