Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PrinceAli0

RC2 Upgrade from RC1

Hey all is it possible to upgrade from RC1 to RC2. I've currently got RC1 installed and its finally working stable and now RC2 is out. Can I upgrade or will I have to do a clean install.

Thanks

PrinceAli0

number of upgrades where i was happy with the outcome = 0

number of clean installs where i was happy with the outcome = countless

upgrade if u want it's ur machine wtf don't i care

Upgrading is a bad idea. It tends to leave old crap from the previous operating system laying around, and it just doesn't work as well.

Do the clean install. It's worth it.

Disagree with the other posts.

If your vastly upgrading your OS, Win9x/ME to Win2k or Win9x/ME to WinXP then sure, clean install is the way to go.

Ever since my very early build of WinXP Beta I've simply installed the newer revision over the top, did Beta2 - RC1 and RC1 - RC2.

No problems at all, the installation program automatically over-writes older files with newer ones.

If you want to save yourself all the hassle of getting the machine back on a network or installing applications, simply upgrade, it works fine.

i have to agree- i clean install my machine, install win98 (minimum install), then ungrade to XP. I have to problems at all

Thanks BladeRunner, I didn't feel like wiping and doing a clean install...sheesh it took long enough to get everything working again that I don't want to go through that again. Though I am inclined to agree with Four and Twenty if you can wipe it and not think twice thats probably the recommended way of doing it.

after reinstalling up to twice a week during the win 2k and xp betas has made reinstalling a pretty common quick and easy task. It is all about not using cds. Make images of all your software that uses cds and put it all on a big hard disk and install from there. i can install office xp and photoshop and a handfull of other apps at the same time aswell as play mp3s and it all works fine. since i moved to hard disk only it takes me about 2 hours to install a new build all my programs and a handfull of reg tweaks and settings changes. It isn't that hard to get it down to a science. Besides to me it is worth it to have a nice clean system.

I've upgraded from Beta 2 to RC1 and then to RC2, and have no problems doing so. Absolutely none. It's amazing. Granted, I had a clean install with Beta 2, and since RC1 and RC2 are merely building on the previous builds and not really changing a whole lot with the system, I'm not too surprised. And I must say that I like RC2. It fixed a few annoying bugs that I've had from 2k, Beta 2, and RC1...such as the dissappearing network icon in the tray. I have two NICs, and after a few hours of use, one of the icons would dissappear until the next reboot. Not really crucial, but annoying.

Yeah, go ahead and upgrade. Seems to run a bit smoother than the previous versions--if that's possible.

I agree with Four and Twenty .Make images from all software you need.

PQ Drive Image Pro 4.0 RULEZ

wink

When i did a clean install I had huge problems getting my force feedback wheel to work, but when i did an upgrade from Win2k with the drivers already installed and working it worked great, and i had less problems than when i did the clean install (don't remember if i installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers then though), did an upgrade from RC1 to RC2 today and it works just as great.

My personal experience say that when doing upgrade from Win9x to NT kernel, it'll be a mess, though, when doing from one NT kernel to another it works like a dream.

Did you guys get a link to RC2 via email? I haven't goptten anything.

I think I found the site where it is a few days ago. But, I didn't have a MS Passport yet. Now I do, and I can't find the page (I think it's beta.windows.com or something).

I just got RC1 in the mail a few days ago. I got it free from the MS Experience. It says I will receive notification via email about RC2.

RC1 to RC2 works flawlessly

Clean install is of course always better (no old crap staying behind) but if you have a fully installed working OS and you don't want to go through all the hassle of reinstalling all your soft again go for the upgrade.

Once you install the final I strongly suggest a clean install though.

Thanks Guys,

I feel confident that nothing will mess up with the upgrade, as I do have a fully functional working OS right now. Even though I was one of those crazy types that have always done a fresh install cause I feel its better I didn't want to take the risk as I finally got everthing on my Athlon box working correctly. Thanks for all the great posts.

PrinceALi0

I gotta say that I am a die hard advocate of clean installs but I just was tired of it lately. So I have upgraded over my XP with newer and newer builds 5 times now. Oddly.. each time was nothing but improvements.. Even in speed. Must be lucky.. -Aaron

now I've got to activate it again! I activated my RC1, and saved me the wpa.dbl file. I was just curious if I could still use it after upgrading to RC2, I even used the same serial on it. Unfortunately RC2 doesn't care for my previous activation.

I was just curiouse if there was a way of skipping another activation, between upgrading to a different build.