Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheSpork

RAM Problem, please read (to at least be intrigued)

Alright, so I bought this new ram. I have a be6-ii, but the problem happens on my old gateway system as well. The ram is by a company who's initials are "LD". LD is all over the ram. Anyway, I have like eight chips of it (hehe) and it's 128MB, Cas 2.

Here's the problem. Putting one chip of this ram in, works fine. I'm running off one chip right now. But I bought this ram to have 256MB of ram that was CAS2. So let's say I put a second chip in, now I have 2x of the LD. My computer will run fine, but windows 2000 will blue screen after it gets past the boot logo screen. Sometimes it wont' blue screen, it'll just reset after the black and white loading screen. The blue screen errors usually say "you do not have an acpi compliant motherboard". Which is weird, because my mobo obviously IS acpi compliant.

Now, I have the old cas3 128MB YC ram I was using. I put that in, everything works fine. I put that and one of the new chips everything works fine. I put the old one and two more chips (thinking that it's everytime I get two of the LD ram) and yet it still works.

So basically, if I mix ram, everything works. If I only use one stick, everything works. But 2 or more sticks won't work. What's stopping me from using the mixed ram, is that my geforce 2 crashes when I mix ram. but the GF won't crash if I just have one stick of either ram.

Anyhelp would be much appreciated, this happens on my other win2k box as well (but I dont' want to use the ram on that box anyway).

I have the same problem with this one DIMM of Kingston 128MB 133MHz CAS 3 RAM. It has Infineon chips, and has the same reaction in my ASUS P3B-F motherboard. I have it out right now, but if I put it in I get the same error. I don't know why it does it, but my motherboard doesn't care for it at all.

I ahve a compaq machine here which belongs to somebody else. does the same weird thing if I put 256 MB CL2 100Mhz as it is own. it is micron.

If i take it out and put 133Mhz it works fine smile

Beat this!

And let me know if you have a solution to...

I thought it was faulty module. But it worked fine on other boards.

Had the same problem - ordered an upgrade to PC133 RAM, put it in, and Win2k BSODs (ntoskrnl died) - so I thought it was bad RAM, so got some more, and Win2k still still BSODs...

So I put all the RAM in, reinstall Win2k, and everything's fine! Of course, I now have 640Mb RAM in my machine; sligtly more than I had intended, but I'm not complaining!!!

So the moral of the story is that Win2k is vey sensitive about hardware changes...:D

AndyF

believe me, I've tried that one ... the setup BSOD's the same way the OS does

right now, here's my current update:

I found a home for the chips of Cas2 ram ... I happen to have 2 FICA SD11 Athlon 500 boxes, and I stole their ram and put a chip of the cas2 ram in each ... they run fine, so I'm not worried. Then, I took the 2 pc100 chips lying around and and put the two of them in my server box, and stole it's ram ... so now I have two varying chips, one's like yc or something, and one's something else that both are pc133 and never gave me problems, but unfortunately, once again, I'm mixing ram, so my geforce crashes in games ...

damn the force,

spork