Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Killer_Wolf

Max Payne and XP

Yes, works perfectly,

No problems so far. The graphics accel perfectly.

If anything, keep the drivers that come with XP or windowsupdate if you have a Soundblaster Live!. I tried to install some of the 2k drivers (LW3) and the drivers that come with the 5.1 cards--and the game would not run--at least with sound. If I turned off the sound it would run.

Does anyone play Max with a Geforce3 and XP (Rc1) ? Because i think there is a problem...some ppl..and me happen this, when you start a New Game you are kick back to the desktop, and to the tutorial the same thing happen.

I have start to "play" with the settings and change Material Variations ( CAN anyone tell me what this makes ), and what happen is that i´m able to play the tutorial and SaveGames, BUT again if i complete the level and move to the next one, same thing happen, i´m kick back to Desktop

Is there anyone with this problem, with a Geforce2 and XP ?

Thx.

I'm running it on WinXP RC1 and a Geforce2--but with the 14.20 detonators instead of the default XP and the 12.40 NVidia drivers. Other than the sound glitch i had before, I've had no problems.

The problem with Max Payne quitting while loading levels seems to be specific to Win2000 and WinXP users that run GeForce III cards. There is no solution at the moment, to the best of my knowledge. The game works fine in Win9x with a GF3.

I have tried using Software T&L and playing around with screen modes, but to no avail. Also tried every Nvidia driver from 12.4 onwards.

Anyone any ideas or info?

**** Remedy, GODGames, 3DRealms, and NVIDIA...

I love spending $400 on a video card and $50 on a game that doesn't work.

Man, this is AWESOME.

Remedy found out about the situation after the game release. ;( They have finally got a machine with the same problem and are working on it. Geesh. This crap pisses me off. This is Numero Uno on my reason to *****. mad

I have the same problem.

Seems that the Athlon XP/2000 GF3 Combo is the killer.

Right click on the MAX PAYNE icon on your desktop, go to properties then the compatibilty tab and select WIN98 and check run in compatility mode.

Works Flawless in XP and Win 2000 now

I fixed this issue yesterday on my buddies p3 1ghz & gf3 easily, it's called install the latest 14.20 drivers.

The game ran flawless after in win2k.

I have not had this issue what so ever and I'm using a tbird 1.4 and gf2 with the 14.20.

THe problem is the Athlon, Geforce 3 and Windows 2000 or XP, which you stated your not using that config.

"THe problem is the Athlon, Geforce 3 and Windows 2000 or XP, which you stated your not using that config."

ok what part of gf3 and win2k did you miss?

("I fixed this issue yesterday on my buddies p3 1ghz & gf3 easily, it's called install the latest 14.20 drivers")

How can you say it's related to just Athlons? Was I imagining the computer kicking me out to the desktop on this p3 or was it the magical p3 that's really an AMD chip? Go read some of the forums it happens on p3 and p4 systems as well.

"Not a driver issue either, using the 12.41 and 12.90 neither one works"

Heh brilliant aren't you? Apparently you have selective eyesight and completely miss the obvious You seem to have missed the part where I said install the LATEST DRIVERS! Latest drivers = 14.20. I didn't say install the almost latest drivers or the not quite new drivers.

I'll repeat again

On a GEFORCE 3 that was CRASHING TO THE DESKTOP in WINDOWS 2000, I installed the 14.20 drivers, the LATEST ONES, and it worked flawless.

Hey pal, get off your high horse, I'm using the 14.20s, and it doesn't work.

It hasn't been working for me, and it seems to be a compatibility error. I'm running Windows XP rc1, witha geforce 2 gts, sound blaster live!, etc. etc. and once I execute the game, it continues loading as the splash image appears and stays there... I've read the .plan and faq, and what I've got is:

SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEMS

Windows 95 (OSR2 or later), Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000.

Although Max Payne has been found to work on Windows XP, it has not been thoroughly tested and thus Windows XP is not officially supported. Additionally, Windows NT is not supported.

Sigh, I don't know if that means they'll have all compatibility issues fixed. I've tried running the game under different OS compatibility modes, too, but it doesn't seem to work.

Maybe one of you guys who know?

I have the same problem with a dual P3 system and a P4 system (both with GF3s) so it is not Athlon specific. I have also tried the 14.20 drivers with no luck at all.

I also should add, different compatibility modes lead to different results:

Win95/Win98: error message: "Debugger found... please unload and try again"

Win2k/winXp: Max Payne logo appears, then the computer loads forever until the game eventually stops responding

WinNT: error message: "please insert the correct cd-rom and try again"

I wouldn't think that I would encounter problems after upgrading to a P3 1ghz cpu

Some of you may be running into the POS Safedisc protection. A fix was released last month not sure how well it works tho: http://www.macrovision.com/solutions/software/fix.php3

If you get errors in your event log when running a game with Safedisc protection try this patch.

Sigh. The trials of getting games to work due to sloth & greed. frown

no go frown

If I had to choose between Windows XP and Max Payne, I would most likely choose Max Payne... but, alas, XP is the only OS I have. I guess this situation is like the poor saps who have problems with their voodoo cards on Windows XP.... it works for some, doesn't for others... it could be an entirely random occurance.

Still, I'd love to get this working, I've been a fan of Max Payne since the beginning frown

I just hope somebody out there has a way to fix it

bleh, a friend is sending me windows 2k, I've decided to uninstall the precious win xp...

Plus, formatting C:\ is sooo much fun ;(

From Voodoo Extreme

"Petri Järvilehto, project leader of Max Payne at Remedy knocked up our surrogate Max Payne forums (3D Realms' webserver is in the process of being upgraded at the moment) with an update about the GF3 + Win2k + Athlon problems that some users have reported. Plus, if you're having problems with Win2K in general, you might want to check out this post. Here's the poop on the GF3-Win2k- Athlon problem:

Just wanted to let you know that we're aware of the problems.

It seems that with GF3 + Win2k + Athlon combination the game is exiting to desktop when loading a new map.

The game has been tested with different GF3/Athlon configs, and was developed mostly on Geforce+Win2k machines, so at the moment we are assuming that this is an issue with the user configuration (some drivers conflicting with each other or something).

As of yet, we haven't been able to re-create the problem at our office, so I can't give you any solid info. As soon as we get the game to crash here as well, we should be able to figure out how the problem can be fixed. In all probability a patch won't be needed. Will keep you guys posted.

If you have any problems with the game (or want to talk to other players) feel free to stop by!

It has been reported on most sites and forums that it was releated mostly to an Athlon configs.

And Sel you need to back off, your the reason I have a job cause your the same person that everyone refers to as "My buddy said this, or my buddy can fix this"

THen I get paid to fix it the right way.

"And Sel you need to back off, your the reason I have a job cause your the same person that everyone refers to as "My buddy said this, or my buddy can fix this"

THen I get paid to fix it the right way."

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Heh now THAT is funny!

Heh this isnt' even worth a retort, barely even worth this response.

But man that was funny to read, thank you for the nightly humor.

Next time be nice when replying to posts that are trying to help. Last thing all of us need are testy posters when we are trying to help each other.

MAX PAYNE 1.01 is out.

Supposed to fix the issue. Gonna try it.

I'll post results here