Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SiMoVsKy

crash

I'm running windows 2000 on a celeron 500, with 64mb ram, 12gb hd, and a riva tnt 2, I was running on a FAT32 filesystem, and then I changed to NTFS, and windows started to crash, I changed again to FAT32 but win still crashes, the cause isn't the filesystem....

I installed windows again, but windows continues to crash...

Any ideias?

Sorry for my lousy english frown

Thanks in advance smile

Simão Mata

simao@bubix.net

webdesigner .:. coder

When it crashes, what happens exactly? Lock-ups? Blue Screen of Death?

Which programs are crashing? What error messages are listed?

What is your entire configuration of your system? Motherboard, video, sound, chipset, drivers?

There's quite a bit that could be wrong, but I can't rightly say what it is without more info.

And yes, don't double post. It's harder to remember which post you responded to, and screws us up.

The computer crashes, the red led of the computer stills working, but the mouse cursor doesn't move. Nothing works, the keyboard doesn't respond.

I don't know what motherboard I use.

The sound card is a sound blaster PCI128.

As I said, the video card is nvidia riva tnt II.

The drivers are all the lastest drivers~.

Sorry for the double post, but I didn't knew in what forum should I post my question =\

Simão Mata

simao@bubix.net

Do you know the exact motherboard you have? I know the SoundBlaster Live! cards have caused issues with motherboards using a Via chipset, so if you could post what the motherboard is and/or the chipset on it, that would help a lot.

In Device Manger, look under the System Devices list. It will list devices on the motherboard like CPU to AGP controller, and will list the manufacturer of the chipset most likely. It should list several devices made by Intel, Via, ALi, or SiS.

A couple of things I also thought of: Did you purchase your computer at a store, like a Compaq, Hewlett Packard, E-Machines, etc.?

The second thing is another way to find out your motherboard, but you will have to open the case to find out. On the motherboard between the PCI and/or ISA slots many manufacturers list their name and the motherboard model. If you don't see that or want a second reference, look for the two largest chips on the motherboard. One may have a heatsink on it, but the second one won't. The one with the heatsink will be closest to the CPU slot or socket, but if it doesn't look for the largest chip closest to the cpu if its not covered up. The manufacturer of the chipset--not the motherboard--will be printed on that chip and the other large chip which should be on the bottom half of the motherboard around the PCI or ISA slots. Again you should see Via, Intel, ALi, or SiS on the chip. Also, there should be numbers on the chips to give information, which we can track down.

The TNT2 works better with older drivers, namely the 7.52, if I remember correctly, try using those instead of the latest.

Next time you're unsure of where to post, pick one place so we don't get confused. Thanx.

you should get a little more ram there man, at least 128-192MB with Windows 2000.

Yeah, 64 is really slooow. Plus ram is so cheap anyway. BTW FYI, PC100 and PC133 SDRAM will work with that Celeron.

I found out what was the problem, the new tnt2 drivers don't work very well and the computer crashes, but now, I can't play any games with the old drivers, any ideas?

The chipset is a Via Apollo Pro Plus (692/596) Chipset, from DFI manufacturer.

I built my own computer it isn't compaq/hp/etc, but I didn't remembered what motheboard I bought, sorry =|

Thanks

Simão Mata

simao@bubix.net

Did you updated all the drivers ?

VIA Mobos with AGP cards needs at least the AGP patch.

Without this, your computer MAY freeze when special features of your graphic card are needed as the bus cannot deliver enough power ...

Btw ... Please ensure to use the last drivers :

Mobo -------------- : http://www.dfi.com

Via Chipsets ------ : http://www.viahardware.com ( unofficial )

http://www.viatech.com( official )

Graphic Card ------ : http://www.3dchipset.com

Hope this will help you.

do u know where I can find that AGP patch?

I have instaled the latest mobo drivers but the games still don't work.

=\

Simão Mata

simao@bubix.net

Thanks for your help, this is getting better.

With all that drivers and patches, with the drivers for RIVA TNT2 M64 from the creative.com website, windows doesn't crashes, but the games just don't work.

With the drivers for RIVA TNT2 M64 from the nvidia.com website, the system crashes, but games work perfect.

What should I do? I'm confused lol...

Simão Mata

simao@bubix.net

o yeah just read the original post again

my bad

that kid should definatly get more ram though cause it is cheap as dirt and he hasn't even seen 2k if hes only seen it with 64 megs of ram