Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shinglung

Whats are you doing you stupid little HD?

Hi

Whenever I do a clean install of 2k I always reformat the HD with NTFS, and every time after it spends 30min doing it says it can't because of some error.

The HD was bought this year and is IBM so it should be fine. I've checked the HD every which way and it seems to be fine.

When I get the OS on it is ok too. I have had no trouble with it in 2k its just when I try to format it for a clean install.

Any ideas?

William

How are you formatting it?

As long as you dont need anything on the drive, try FDISK'ing it, then format it to NTFS during the install.

You can also try these nice little utilities from the olden days.. delpart and killboot.

killboot kills the boot sector and renders your drive undreadable.. at least until you create a partition or run Windows setup, which both will write a new boot sector for ya. Good program to really start from scratch. All it is is a .com file that you run. Nuttin fancy about it.

Delpart is a mean partition utility that will delete and create paritions with no regard as to what kind of partition they are, what kind of file system it is, or what size they are. Check them out. I'll put them on my webserver for you to download. (It's ok, they're free utilities).

Download Delpart and Killboot here