Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ronin

Nividia nForce... will you buy??

I've seen the reports about this new Nvidia chip that has sound and graphics all intergrated? Why would anyone want intergrated sound and graphics? You are at the mercy of the chip maker if you go that way. I've had several people tell me that this will be there next upgrade.

Why???

I for one like to have the option to upgrade my sound and video? What is so great about this chipset over buying the enw Abit KG7 Raid board that is coming out or for that matter any other new board that is in the works???

your thoughts???

If you don't add any cards, you just have to install 1 driver. Plus, the integrated graphics would be like having a GF2MX--but not separate. Plus, the audio is supposedly even better than Creative's SBLive!, and it uses DDR.

You can upgrade your video and sound card too though. There will be AGP and PCI slots on the boards. It would be kinda nice to see integrated graphics that don't suck. Plus, if you're trying to save some cash, you can get an nForce 420 chipset mobo, DDR, and a CPU and you're set. It may not be the best, but you would still be able to play games at respectable resolutions with respectable speed. System vendor's are gonna love the nForce because they only need to add ram and the cpu and they've got their system set up. Plus, if you're really strapped for cash and building a system for someone, this could be the ticket.

Bleh. GF2MX is ancient. I for one like my 60fps in 1920X1440 in UT and my 49fps in 2048X1536 in Q3! laugh

others would seem to disagree Dos.

------

I, on the other hand, think it would be great to have a GF/Soundcard combo or even a mobo with an onboard GF2MX and sound, its a nice combination for a bargain pc, i kinda like the concept, sort of an XBox that you can build, customize, upgrade, run apps, etc..........you get the point. but then the legacy side of me doesn't want integration like this to happen, at the rate things are going now, in a few years we won't have computers to build, upgrade, and feel proud when when something is accomplished. I'm high right now....sorry.

If you are a gamer, then I can't see this platform as something to switch to. Yes for system builders and the like there are a lot of reasons to go with the nForce. I myself like the ability to make my system what I want. I know the board will have 5-6 pci slots and an agp port but why intergrate video and sound and then turn around and install a GF3 card in?, I can see maybe using the sound. This is just not something that us gamers or us tech guys will use.

Just my opinion.

except initial speculations are giving a 15-20% performance increase using the nforce - due to the way everything is tightly integrated. That's a pretty good reason for me to use it, and you don't lose that performance when switching to an agp video card...

Hehe. System builders are gonna looooove nForce a lot. Plus, in comparison with the current crop of integrated audio and video, it won't suck (as much) as current solutions.

I think this board/chipset will be the board FOR gamers. It offers dual-channel DDR, if you drop in a Geforce 3 card thats 4.2 gb/sec of bandwith dedicated to the system compared to athlons current best of 2.1 gb/sec. this is in addition to the supposivly AWESOME integrated sound, LAN and all kinds of chipset optimizations (level 3 cache, hardware prefetching)

Yup, as long as you could disable onboard sound/video if you wanted to, and it looks like you can, boards using nforce would be pretty cool, and im sure it will be better than the via alternatives smile

does anyone know how much these mobos will be? Like at least a price range or guess.

Thanks

Not totally sure, but maybe $10-20 more than comparable motherboards, but that would be a good trade off considering you only need two more items to add to get the system fully functional.

Oh, yeah, there are two versions of the nForce: 220 and 420, with the 420 having all the goodies and a wider memory path.

Basically, the nForce seems to be the X-Box chipset adapted for the PC. Sooo, logically, if the X-Box has issues, the nForce probably will too.

When should we see these motherboards? And will current PC 2100 DDR memory work with them?

I'm almost sold on nForce, just need to see some reviews.

Right now its for T-bird/Palimino only... and it works with current pc2100 ddr strips

you just need two sticks of memory for the dual-channel.

cool but will this be a mobo worth upgrading too from KT133A chipset mobo ? i mean i bet the performence and speed wont be that much better than the currect DDR mobos give you. They only give you 5 to 10% increase in speed frown

not worth it sorta.

I haven't heard how they perform yet, mainly because--to my knowledge--there aren't any nForce boards out, so I'm just putting up what I've read at Tom's Hardware and Anandtech, and some from [H]ardOCP.

Intel didn't bite on nForce because they said it was unproven. True, but it's basically what's powering the X-Box and is running a PENTIUM III chip. It looks like another mistake for Intel, which could cost them.

It will only support AMD chips as of right now, and that includes the Duron. Asus has an nForce board in the works I've read, and I'll assume Abit will too.

Boys and Girls

xBox vs PC

xBox $300

nForce IGP = GeForce3 Integrated Graphics Processor

The main memory is share with the video processor

PC Motherboard $200

nForce IGP = GeForce2MX Integrated Graphics Processor

The main memory is share with the video processor

Only fool will buy this integrated junk.

It no diff then Intel, VIA or SiS micky mouse B.S. so be my guest and go for it just don't come back crying to us with your problem win we told you so.

I won't for my computer.

but, for a LAN rig or for other people, sure.

I'm going almost all DUAL.

Dual Palominos

Dual Swiftec MC462a

Dual Delta 80mm 80CFM(53 decibel) fans

Dual Enermax 465 PSUs

Dual IBM 18gb 10k rpm U160 drives

Dual Adaptec SCSI controllers(of which the 39160 is a Dual Channel SCSI 160 controller in and of itself!)

Compaq NC3122 Dual port 10/100 NIC

Dual 256mb Corsair or Crucial PC2400/2600 DIMMS

Yeah, a lan box would be a good use for it, since both of my rigs have a full-tower, which I don't really want to lug around. Of course, I'd like to see how it turns out first. I personally think it's cool, as you can all probably tell from my other posts, but then again, the 820 chipset looked cool before we saw what it really was.

If I do rig it up, I'm gonna stock up on enough DDR, 384 megs ought to be plenty--I seriously doubt you'll be sharing all that.

Ooooh, Swiftech--nice an cool, and loud.

You getting (or got) the Thunder K7 or are you waiting for more options?

yea, a LAN box with an athlon 1ghz, 384ddr, built in geforce and nic would be great.

Inferno: man, those fans gotta sound like a 747 huh?

I'd buy nFORCE just for the fact it's the first most complete implementation of Distributed Processing hardware architecture ever implemented on traditonal X86, the equivalent of a 10/100 network SWITCH comparing with multitude presence of 10/100 network HUBs.

Will this "switch" outperform other "hubs"? You bet yer a*s my buddies...

dude i just thought about this a little bit and i am fukin psyched about the nforce. THe bigest problem with the athlons is the sh1tty via chipsets and now we get some sh1t from nvidia that runs em. I know nvidia will do better than via. Intel better jump on this sh!t or they are going to loose alot of biz

how much iz one of these mobos gonna cost?