Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LinuxCrusader

yum update? Grub?

Last night I did a yum update on my computer and when I booted up my computer today I noticed that there were two fedora options with the oldest version of the kernel and the newest one in Grub. Is this normal...How do I make it to show only one option for fedora?

im not at my linux box atm, but i know what you are talkingabout it shows the different versions of kernals installed correct? It will boot to your newest installed one if you don't change it..but you can also remove the other options i'm pretty sure from the boot menu via the boot configurator, itsunder either system preferences or tools....i havn't done much work with the boot menu but go under the boot config, and it will allow you to add/remove items from the boot menu, and you most likely will see the 2 kernals on the boot menu and be able to remove the older one.

Daum

Yes, you can remove the lines that you do not want. Just be careful to keep the linde structure and only remove the items that you do not want, seperated by a blank space. Make a backup of the menu list before you do this, just in case.

Also, realize that the extra option to get into the old kernel is there just in case the new kernel fails. This way you have the old kernel menu item as a backup.

Don't do what I once did and go into your grub.conf and comment out all the lines pertaining to the other kernels! I got locked out without even a grub menu! I had to use Morphix to rescue my system. Boy was that scary...