Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HELLBRINGER

1 machine on network cannot access mail!!! HELP PLEASE!

I have a problem. 1 computer cannot access it's mail. And for a reason I have yet to find.

This is the error I get... I recently upgraded to Zone Alarm Pro 2.6.86. I am aware it has more security features. But I allowed all the computers on the network access. This client machine can access the internet and everything else. Just not mail. Does anyone have any ideas? I am so tired right now I am stumped (been up 39 hours so far)

HERE IS THE ERROR:

mailfail.jpg

Thanks for your help.

EDIT:

One other thing. It seems that it checks the mail just fine, but cannot send. Although I have not recieved any new mail, and usually would of. So it may not be getting any mail but connecting alright. Here is a pic of that...

mailfail2.jpg

make sure you're allowing outgoing connections on port 25 (the SMTP port)

The reason you can get one connection to work, but not the other is that SMTP is being blocked, but pop3 on port 110 is getting through. Also I noticed your smtp is set for SSL. Try disabling it (if your mail server does not require that method of authentication). Either SSL is not able to get through to the mail server, or the mail server is not set up to handle SSL requests.

-RY

I'm sorry, after looking again at the screen shot, it looks like you don't have SSL enabled. My mistake. However I did have another thought. Try setting up a completely new connection to that mail server from scratch. Sometimes there is a little error that is hard to catch, but when you start over you get it right. Spelling errors of domain names comes to mind.

You also mention that you are using ZA pro. Try turning it off for a few tests. I have disabled it, waited about 5 minutes for the master broowsers to update, then was sucessful with my tests.

Good luck,

-RY

Hmmm well I tried the new connection thing... Did not work... Also tried turning off Zone Alarm for a few and putting it back on in like 20 min... That did not work either. Then I uninstalled it and put back on regular Zone Alarm and it worked fine... I think that Zone Pro is just too secure... I guess that could be considered a good sign... But sucks when you cant use it with your network...

If anyone knows how to fix this let me know. Cause I would like to use Pro. Since my grandpa bought it for me it would be useless. I feel guilty now.

Thanks.

You misunderstood part of my reply, I meant turning off zone alarm for the 20 minutes and trying with it still disabled. The reason for that is to let the master browsers, to add your computer's name to their browse lists.

The good news is that you isolated it to zonealarm pro. Open up the following ports, and see if this helps. 53 for dns, 143 for imap4, 993 for secure imap4, 389 if you use LDAP, 110 and 25 for pop and smtp. If you connect to an exchange server then try 135 (although you really shouldn't need to). And finally try out 443.

I'm almost positive it is a blocked port. Remember that outlook creates 2 major processes that you should see in zonealarm. There is the outlook program, and also mapisp32.dll . If you opened up ports for one, make sure the other is open also. I remember 2 items to open when I set up the outlook on ZA a while ago, however I can't be sure there wasn't a third.

Good luck,

RY

And what is this master browser thing you are talking about. I still don't understand what you are talkng about.

Those two programs do not show up on the server's firewall list because outlook is not actually being ran on the server. It is being ran on a clients machine.

When you open network neighborhood, you will see the list of computers on the network. In a win9x/Nt environment, a computer assumes the role as a browse master. If you have a pdc, then it becomes the browse master. bdc's get second choice followed by member servers, finally the win9x computers. I'm not exactly sure where win2k servers fit in there.

The browse masters do a few things including helping resolve netbios names. The reason I asked you to let that list refresh is to eliminate another possible item causing an issue. Knowing you can resolve the host name lets you focus on other problems.

Regardless, I believe you problems are with ports. You are blocking something that should not be blocked in order to establish the connection. Try focusing on that. Open all the ports I mentioned on the server. Then if things work, close one by one until you eliminate which port exactly is needed.

Step 1) Get rid of Zone Alarm.

Step 2) Hug your Grandpa.

Step 3) Enjoy your e-mail!!

Um....

No...

Cant...

and... No

I am not taking off Zone Alarm since I have been having so many people hacking my system lately. For what reason I dont know...

And I can't hug my grandpa... If I did try I would be doing some digging.

And I don't enjoy my e-mail... I "penetrate" my e-mail.

That was not a sick crack... Or was it???:P

Sorry about your grandpa. Just trying to lighten up people in this thread. Have you tried BlackIce? I have had really good luck with configuring that firewall than others...

It's not very good so I don't use it. I know a few hacks my self to break a BlackICE firewall...

I think I will just keep my current version of ZA and not get Pro.

Exactly how are those people hacking your system and doing what mischiefs to your files etc hellbringer?

Do not mistaken stupid port scan's to hacking. If you really get hacked, you will know. And Zonealarm, blackice etc can not help you against somebody who knows what they are doing.

Check out you account settings, there is something called "My SMTP server requires authentication. make sure it is unchecked.

also try pinging your mail server when zonealarm is enabled or disabled.

If all pings fail, then there is no such server. also some ISP's will not allow you to use SMTP unless you are in a certain IP range (like theirs) try using smtp of your ISP if not already doing so.

PS ping command:

Open dos prompt then type

"ping mail.bois.qwest.net"

If you can ping it then try traceing it

tracert your.bloody.mail.server

If you are failing to reach the host I suggest you check your network settings maximum hops and such.

If you have used one of those tweak this that programs they usually mess with stuff they shouldn't.

Maximum network hops should be set to default. (I dunno your system it differs from Net to net.

people like to hack my system and put viruses in my important system files that run my webserver, like mysql database and php4 files...

those dirty bastards! i cleaned them out anyway... with frustrations.

but i think i figured it out... it seems ZA pro is working fine now...