Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PrinceAli0

Tried That

Hey,

I've deleted and had windows re-detect the devices but it says there is still a problem and I can't get it to work. So what you're telling me is I should reinstall my OS just cause I unplugged all my devices clean the dust out and put them back in. Wow XP is way too sensitive. Any other ideas.

Thanks

PrinceAli0

well, apparently no one else here on the boards has a better Idea, i guess reinstalling IS the best solution.

The XP installation is the best OS installation I've ever experienced. It detected every single piece of hardware in my computer.

Either you have some major hardware conflicts or you're using 1980's ISA cards in your computer.

I hear ya man, some people just don't get how well XP is compared to previous windows OS's, and no, saying it's in RC1 stages isn't an excuse, hehe.

I've been over to people's places so much (since I run a computer business), I am constantly looking at systems ranging from Windows 95, 98, Me, and NT. I look at some of them and say "holy smokes, no defrag in the last 560 days eh?", they should be defragging once a month or once every two months. Skipped scandisks are a common thing that i've seen users do, they skip the autorun scandisks thinking it doesn't matter, then when something crashes, they flip out on the OS, when they should have scandisk'd it in the first place to repair the problems.

Things like unorganized files are even a problem, I see things like hundreds of html or pictures or something right on the base C:\, where the only thing that should be there is a pagefile, some logs and boot files, that's it. I also see a lot of people that don't clear temp folders or the likes, which leads to errors yet again, simple things that can be fixed.

Now into hardware, damn, I don't know where to start, I repair a computer, first, open the case, dusty as hell, hasn't been cleaned in at least a year, no wonder things are malfunctioning. Or I look and say "Your installing such and such operating system with an old 28.8 ISA modem attached to your system?". Like come on here, companies such as MS, Corel, etc. cannot innovate or have a hard time doing it when users are still using there old, crappy hardware. You can't expect those companies to maintain an area solely based on old machines, it just isn't profitable.

And I continue by saying "Why do you people have so many problems in their machines? XP can't install this, XP can't install that". All I have is an Athlon 650, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 2 MX 32 MB, Soundblaster Live!, 20 GB 5400 RPM hard drive, and it never crashes, hasn't crashed in a very long time, I usually format and reinstall my OS at least once a year, but that isn't based on anything that the OS is doing wrong, it's just a thing I personally do.

I for one, am sitting here, waiting and waiting for RTM (final code) of Windows XP to be released, because i'm going to format, install it, and live like a king, I don't care about why MS has made this default or that default, or why this or why that, and I'm a user just like the rest of you. I think of it this way, "If I can change the defaults, then it's ok with me", things such as how folders are viewed (Tile, Icons, etc.) or what the default skin is for XP Professional. Those things are so meaningless, and can be changed in so little time that it's pointless complaining about it.

People talk about XP being bloated too, I hear that from some and I say "An OS can never be bloated", simple because users will always want things edited, added, etc. into an OS to make it better, therefore MS, or Linux, or whoever should try to meet the users requests, and not the minority of what users want, it's the MAJORITY that ask for it that get something, duh. MS for example doesn't think of everything themselves when making the OS, they just code it, it's the users that request things, such as skins, faster NT boot loading time, etc. and they got it, now they ***** that they have it, give me a break. There isn't a thing wrong with XP in my eyes, and if a piece of hardware doesn't work, look at it and say "How old is it? What slot it fits in, ISA, PCI, etc. and whether or not you should replace it"

For example, something like 32 MB of RAM isn't going to be enough, get 128 MB, it's the standard now anyways. 300 Mhz computer, well, it's good, but around 500 is the standard. Wonder why XP takes up a gig of hard drive space, well, the users asked for new things, new things take up space and I have no beef with it, because every user should have at least a 10 GB drive now in my opinion, that's also a standard. Get all of that, install XP, immediately put on AGP miniport and any type of bus things like 4-in-1, or AMD bus mastering stuff, etc. and then best drivers for your sound and video, then install stuff, using the compatibility modes, some caution, some smarts and a bit of patience. Set your pagefile to 3 and a bit times your RAM count, 256 X 3 = 768, count it up to 800 for example. Set min and max to 800 both, set it. Then when your done, defrag the drive and leave it to defrag on it's own with as much stuff shut down as possible.

Wow, that's about all I do and then smartly defrag once a month or once every two months, along with checking for updates and install/uninstalling things properly, and even as little as flashing your bios and configuring that properly helps too. Wow, I just told you my secret on how to get 99.999 % uptime on your computer using Windows Me, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000 and Windows XP, cuz hey, I've used all of those with this particular system and I have basically a perfect system now, it's not hard to troubleshoot people, read up if you have to, but i've been doing this for 10 years now, so I give you the benefit of that much. So next time, if something screws up, take a look at your configuration before you take a look at the OS, like many assumes so much.

Anyways, I better not keep talking, hope I didn't offend anyone, so i'm outta here, peace.

Personally, I've not been too impressed with XP. Sure, MS integrates stuff to make it easier for the average joe without previous experience, but I've just found it more frustrating to find stuff.

Why the hell does MS have to change stuff around every ****in time they release another OS!

Reasons I'm not going to XP: Product Activation--may not be that bad, but I'd like to see how it turns out; limited mp3 ripping; Win2k runs just fine for me--and I don't need the eye candy; XP's firewall--MS must be joking here!--being the most popular OS, it's security will be compromised. Another reason I'm hesitant is because the last OS MS really crowed about being all that was ME, and I speak for a number of people when I say it sucked hard.

I'm sorry, but I don't feel like having to buy two copies of the same software to run on my computers.

**** XP; I'm staying with 2000 until MS stops trying to **** every user on the planet.

yet another fine point by Eddie, haha.

I have no problem with mp3 ripping, works fine here, product activation can be cracked and you don't need two copies, buy one, install it legit, with activation and crack the other one, and I think as long as it's coming from the same IP address, it'll activate, I can't remember how it works, but it's not any different than just basic "buy and install" that we've been doing for the past 5 years.

I mean, I don't know if you've been hitting your head on a brick wall, hiding in a cave or something, but open your eyes dude, XP is more than just eye candy and some product activation, it's the windows that people have been waiting for, and no, nobody said any of that about ME, so I don't know what your talking about stating that people were wanting it or something, people actually want XP, for the first time since Windows 95, they have come out with something that beats the current OS (Windows 2000 and Windows Me), and gives us something we can all be happy with. If you don't like the eye candy or a feature, ummm, have you heard of "disable"?

Windows XP RC1 takes the very stable and impressive base of Beta 2 and makes a number of subtle and not-so-subtle improvements. Even in this unfinished state, Windows XP offers major improvements over both Windows 9x/Me and NT/2000. For Windows 9x users, Windows XP finally moves them into the world of stability and reliability that NT/2000 users take for granted. But for NT/2000 users, Windows XP provides the hardware and software compatibility that were previously unheard of on those platforms. For any user of Windows, the new user interface in Windows XP is a huge improvement over anything else that's available. And most importantly, the new task-based interface provides new users and experienced pros alike with a system with which they will be immediately productive.

It's hard to understate the importance of this release. Windows 2000 was important for businesses, because it moved those users ahead with a platform that was extensible and supported modern hardware and technologies. But Windows XP speaks to a far larger group--consumers, home users, enthusiasts, and gamers--making the stakes higher, and the goals loftier. That Microsoft was able to hit it on the head so completely is somewhat stunning, especially when you consider that this release has really only been in development for less than two years.

I'm not the only one that'll tell you this, I've seen it around here.

That's my two cents, no more replying for me, cuz I hate arguing about things that I know the majority agree with me on, haha, see ya later, word out.