Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HELLBRINGER

Drive mapping, source gone, restart, WONT GO AWAY!

You know when you map a drive and have it remap when you restart. And then that system with the drive to be mapped is gone. Well I have a lot of mapped drives (13 to be precise) and some times when the systems are offline it says error connecting and all that crap. Well I usually select dont worry about it or what ever, so it keeps the map it just shows as disconnected. Well the damn thing keeps resetting or something and I have to keep checking dont worry about the damn thing but it keeps doing it! It only does this on like 3 mapped drives and all the others are fine online or offline. Is this some sort of but in Win2k? How do I fix it?

Sorry that was long winded. Thanks for helping.

Hellbringer,

A registry settings is all it takes, check the following is set to 1:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\

RestoreConnection : REG_DWORD : 1

wink

That removes the mapped drive if it is not there! Does it bring it back if the drive is avaliable? Cause I don't want it removed... And I dont want to have to re-map it either...

Hellbringer,

If you use the NET USE command with the /PERSISTENT:YES, then Windows NT/2000 will always remember that mapping, eg:

net use z: \\computername\sharename /persistent:yes

When you switch on your PC, NT/2000 remembers the mapping and will try to connect to the other computer over the network.

If you are connected to the network then your PC will boot-up quickly.

If you are NOT connected to the network then your PC will take ages to logon as it tries to find the network, then the computer, then the drive that it is trying to map to.

The registry setting I gave is a "toggle" switch, when set, NT/2000 will logon but will not try to connect to the network, however, it WILL remember the mapping.

All you then have to do is select the drive mapping.

There is a program called X-Setup from a company X-TEQ (http://www.xteq.com) that has a lot of little registry tweaks like this one.