Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ultrix

WinXP RC1 Activation Problems, 1st Hand XPerience

Sorry guys, but I think all of you are missing the point. Keeping your OS up and running is not the point of concern.

The point of concern should be, can YOU keep a perfectly good copy of XP up and running WITHOUT the help of benevolent MS?

The point of concern should be that MS has decided that you will not be able to load and reload an OS you have already paid for for as long as YOU feel is appropriate. Unlike MS-Dos, Win3.X, Win95, Win98, etc..., you will only be able to reinstall your perfectly good OS for as long as MS choose to offer the reactivation service.

What do you do, when MS comes out with XP2, XP3, etc.....and then decides they no longer "support" earlier versions? Who gives you the reactivation code?

What do you do, when you attempt to reactivate your XP OS via web or phone, but find the the website and phone are no longer active for XP v.1?

As has been said many times before, "It's not that you are paranoid, it's that you are not paranoid enough."

This whole reactivation scheme has NO, NONE, ZERO benefits for users. It simply puts you at the mercy of MS to decide when it's time for you to upgrade your OS. Bad idea!

Don't get sucked into a discussion about how easy it may or may not be to reactivate the OS. Once you even begin to engage in a discussion about how to make reactivation work, you have already lost the battle. Simply put, you should not need to ask permission to use, for however long you decide is appropriate for you, a product you have already purchased. Why would you even want to consider putting thousands of dollars worth of XP software you have purchased at risk, by ASSUMING MS will always provide you with a reactivation code.

SnapperOne

True

I am not going to windows xp hehe

Staying with win2k pro

No Windows XP for me.

and btw SnapperOne didnt make up my mind that i wasnt going to use windows xp i been saying i was not going to use windows xp.

Thanks

EddiE314........

So long as you're OK with being totally dependent up MS simply to use your OS........have at it!

Good Luck! MS has proven many time before that it can sell snake oil to the unwary.

SnapperOne

never said i was going to buy it! i'll crack the RTM, i format/clean install every month or two anyway, so i don't have to worry about activation.

Eddie you are the crackmaster, but listen, you don't need to crack since Microsoft will provide a perfect cracked version, which will be the Corporate Version.

ARC

SnapperOne just curious. What windows are you on right now?

Win2k pro ?

thanks

miku how in the world do you get Corporate Version? Curious

Please reply

Thanks

imtim83........

2KPro!

And, if XP is as good as EddiE314 says, and the Corporate Version can get me around the Activation scam, count me in! I'm not foolish enough to walk away from a better OS, assuming of course I don't have to call home (MS) every day to get permission to use it.

SnapperOne

ive heard rumors that activation will be removed from XP due to the ongoing DOJ thing with them. These of course are rumors so they should be taken lightly.

ThC 129...........

In general, what have your experiences been with XP? Compatibility with legacy software, hardware, etc.....? Stability? Ease-of-use? Etc.....

More specifically (and importantly I believe), have you had ANY need to contact MS for activation of the OS.

SnapperOne