Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

A+ Certification...

I'm wondering about the A+ Certification as to how helpful it really is. So far, I've only talked to one computer tech, and he basically said that the course goes over older technology--like 486 stuff--and is more for show than anything else.

As for certifications in computers, how much does it really help your employment?

I know it's not on the same level as the MSCE, but it seems that it is important nontheless.

A+ is really good to have, but it doesn't even compare to MCSE and Cisco cert's.

The A+ cert has been overhauled, but I don't take it too seriously myself. I have my MCSE and MCP+I in NT 4.0, but I don't know if I have the drive to upgrade to the Win2K track. If you can pull it off, check out the Cisco certs and get your MCP in Win2K Server. Either of those would be worth a lot more.

I took the A+ cert course 2 years ago. It was fairly useless, got 2 good books outta the deal. The best part is definatly the DOS reveiw. It pretty well goes over every command and switch that is possible. Now I am in Computer Engineering Technology program, and I think that will take me alot farther. But as said before, it doesnt really compare to anything else. Its kida good to have for the 'icing' aspect

:P

Hmm, seeing as I never really got into DOS, that part might actually be nice for me. And the books being useful would be nice, considering what I'll probably spend on them...

So far, from what I've gathered, its just something that looks good but doesn't have any real value.

MSCE will look good and will be useful, but right now that's a tad expensive for me, since I'm just in college and can't afford to move out yet.

Basically, I'm just interested in what will get me started right now, and work on the heavy duty stuff when I have the funds to do it. I just want to play around with computers all day and get paid for it. wink

Hey there,

About the A+ certification, I'm taking my test on Saturday buy the way... I guess It helps a lot in the beginning to find a job.... since I don't have much experience in my field, Network Administration, the A+ certificate can help me get some technician job for now, just to make some money while I finish college... But definitely the next step in Cisco certification.... The thing with the Microsoft certification is that everybody has one.... so it depends how much money do you intent to make in your future job....

After A+, I'm planning to get the Solaris 8 certification from Sun and then Cisco.....

A+ will just help you a little bit in the beginning.... that's what I think! I'm sure it will help you with some basic stuff.... let's say that A+ is to make sure you have a good knowledge foundation.

I guess that's it...

FTM

cool

Quote:

The thing with the Microsoft certification is that everybody has one.... so it depends how much money do you intent to make in your future job....

Bear in mind that most places you will work at use Microsoft Operating Systems, where there are much fewer that use either Solaris or Cisco. In addition, most companies that are hiring personnel for either of those disciplines want a fair amount (3+ yrs) of experience for hiring consideration.

...also

if you dont need a 'techie' job in which you drop cables and run around making house calls, to help pay for college, taking A+ is almost a waste of time compared to what another, more accountable cert will get you.

Dont get me wrong

A+ cert still looks good on a resume.