Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thomas@nordichardware.com

Problem with the start menu... :(

Yep, the start menu (and some different things) just works sometimes....

Run, Search and "Help and Support" doesn't always work...

Well, I don't care about help, but I hate that none of 'em work more than 1/15 times...

If the run-thing's broke, I can use Win+R, but I have my old keyboard right now...

And, if I press ctrl+alt+del, for task manager, it usally works with "run" there, but, sometimes, it's COMPLETELY gone!

Just "Exit" in the file-menu!

What the heck is going on?

Same thing in 2486, upgraded to 2502, same...

Deleted, installeled RC1 in a different dir, same thing...Help!!

You might have already done this, but did you do a CRC check on the ISO and on the burned CD? The first time I D/Led it, the CRC failed because the file had gotten corrupted by Microsoft's sorry download program. If the same thing happened to you, there's an outside chance that something critical was part of what got messed up in the image.

could it be your overclocked Duron? try clocking it back to the original speed.

...or better yet... your DANGEROUSLY overclocked video card smile

Try the following apps to fix your Windows Key-less keyboard to map the Windows key (or Win Key-R) to something else. There are a ton of shareware ones, but I only included the freeware ones.

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,33989,00.html

Hotkeys

Set up shortcuts on your keyboard.

Requirements: Windows 95/NT

License: Free

Hotkeys allows you to define hot keys to run a program, send keystrokes to other applications, exit Windows, log off Windows, or reboot your computer. You can also utilize some of the program's internal functions, such as the Hotkeys editor or the Hotkeys list.

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,76526,00.html

Keyboarding

Create keyboard shortcuts for all your favorite programs.

Requirements: Windows 95/98/NT/2000, VB6 Runtimes

From the developer: "Keyboard shortcuts can sometimes be faster and more convenient than a mouse. Keyboarding is an informational tool that lists 2,900 keyboard shortcuts for Windows 95/98/Me/2K, Access 97 & 2000, Excel 97 & 2000, Outlook 97 & 2000, Word 97 & 2000 and Internet Explorer 4 & 5." Click here to see a screenshot.

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,59822,00.html

AceMacro

Record and replay Windows keyboard and mouse events.

Requirements: Windows 95/98/NT

From the developer: "AceMacro is a macro recording and replaying utility. You can record and replay windows keyboard and mouse events. Launch a program or task using your mouse and enter your username/password using the keyboard. AceMacro can be launched from the command line to replay your recordings. Registration is free at our website."

Jeremy