Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
evil Homer

3rd party Firewall for XP?

Ok, RC1....

Can't really use XP's own firewall as its not very configurable.

I had ZoneAlarm Pro 2.6 on build 2495, but it kept crashing. Also heard that BlackIce Defender is a little unstable too.

Any other recommendations, as I'm on a cable connection and concerned about XP being open like it is.

Windows 2000 on the other hand has Zone Alarm Pro running nicely.

Cheers

I use Norton Internet Security 2001 (without the XP incompatible Norton Antivirus :D) and everything work fine smile

The newest version of ZoneAlarms works well with Windows XP. Or at least it did with Beta 2. I haven't had a chance to try it with RC1.

Quote:

I use Norton Internet Security 2001 (without the XP incompatible Norton Antivirus :D) and everything work fine smile

I used the latest version and it always gives me Bluescreen when I try to open Zonelab and play games by the same time..My friends Introduces me a new **FREE** firewall program and it's pretty good...
I just tested it on RC1 and it runs flawlessly

h**P://www.tinysoftware.com

ENJOY

Well, I just reinstalled ZA Pro on RC1, let it detect all my internet apps as I opened them...

Then went off to play Colin McRae 2.0

BANG

BSOD... stating one of ZA Pro's files was the culprit...

So I'm off to investigate these other free firewall...

Homer

Yeah in typical MS fashion the built-in firewall is barely adequate although there's probably is a more specific way to configure it by editing the registry but only time will tell. I tried ZA freeware (2.6.88) didn’t work worth a S**T and that of course was disappointing since it works perfectly under W2K but I half expected it. After uninstalling it “AND” manually removing “ALL” the leftover entries in the registry I installed ZAP the latest version (2.6.214) works perfect, so far.

I use Norton Internet Security 2002 and NAV 2002 wink

God I love working for symantec!